cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients associate to Autonomous APs preferred than lightweight

MARVIN SPITERI
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the middle of migrating from Autonomous APs to Lightweight just installed 2 X 5508 WLCs and WCS but the clients are preferring to authenticate with the Autonomous APs rather then the new lightweight ones - I am using exact same SSID and security settings on the LAPs. Even if I manually disconnect the client and go just a few centimeters from the LAP the client will re-join an autonomous AP that is some 30m away...

any ideas?

5 Replies 5

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is completely a client driver who decides what to connect and wat not to connect

try disabling the Autonomous APs Radio and see if the client can connect..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Serge Yasmine
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marvin,

looks like the clients and the autonomous APs are good friends and not breaking up easily. :-D

no seriously, ssid on the wlc is enabled?

where you ever able to connect to the wlc ap?

check the data rates on the wlc under the radio band?

good luck

Serge

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The reason, I am suspecting, is the autonomous AP are transmitting in full power while the LWAP isn't.

MARVIN SPITERI
Level 1
Level 1

Issue was resolved - SSID was typed incorrect !!! - the client makes the decision based on the SSID - it was difficult to trace as the devices concerned where not laptops using scan but profiles !

Anyway thanks a lot to all

Good catch :-) glad your issue is resolved. can you please mark you thread as answered? choose any answer you want.

Have a good one

Serge

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card