Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients dropping on WLAN

dhopper82
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

We have a WLAN set up with 1242 lightweight AP's connected into the network via a 4402 Controller. We are experiencing random drops where the client is disconnected from the network for no apparent reason. I checked the message logs for the WLCS and this is what keeps repeating: 198: Missing Supported Rate . That I've seen all our Data Rates are either mandatory (for B client speeds) or supported (for g clients). I have a B client that has been on with no drops yet. Is there something to the mandatory setting?

5 Replies 5

dhopper82
Level 1
Level 1

The B client is now dropping at the same time and the message that we get is that it is a signal loss which I find really strange because we're the only 2 on the entire wireless network and we're sitting right under the AP. Any ideas here?

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

What is your WLC version? We are running on 4.0.155.5 and we do not see this issue. Is your client NIC driver latest?

4.0.179.8 on the controller. We have been testing it with intel and broadcom wireless integrated and it drops all of us at the same time.

From your msg; the client is being dropped from the AP and NOT the AP dropped from the switch. Are the drivers on the client the latest driver? Is power management turned off or set for 'device always on' on the client? You say "we are right under" the AP, not a good place to be unless you are using a flush mount. My guess is you have a rubber duck so move the access point away from your position and see if you still get dropped. Make sure you have set a channel to use and are not doing least conjested. If the AP channel surfs you will be dropped while it looks for a better channel. Also check all cordless devices and make sure they are not operating in the same bandwidth as the AP. If there is any doubt about cordless devices use a channel of 9 or lower.

I turned out the problem was the controller. We wiped it clean and then rebuilt it and after that we've not had the same issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card