Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients have limited connectivity

verschuerein
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys.

I'm new to this, and I started playing around in the wireless control GUI..

Before I made any changes everything was working as a charm. I was enabling and disabling WLANs and everything was fine. But one day when it clients could't connect to internet anymore, they got a valid IP, mask and gateway all from DHCP server, but it says "limited" in their devices..

What further information can I give you guys in order to help me out here?

cisco serie 5500 wireless controller - model 5508

P.S. show tech in attachments.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Might not be the WLC. Can the device work in the local lan and Internet just fails?  If you connect a wired laptop to a switch port that is on the same vlan as the wireless users, does that work. Try to eliminate things to see if it's a wireless issue or maybe a wired routing issue. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Might not be the WLC. Can the device work in the local lan and Internet just fails?  If you connect a wired laptop to a switch port that is on the same vlan as the wireless users, does that work. Try to eliminate things to see if it's a wireless issue or maybe a wired routing issue. 

-Scott

-Scott

Thanks Scott for the replay.

I actually don't have any physical access to the switch, tho I can access it remotely via the web interface or telnet..

Is there any other way I can find out the source of this problem?

I should mention that this issue happened before and the internet get back in about 4 hours or so.. I thought at the time that it was a router problem, but I was wrong, because other clients in another subnet are connecting to the internet with no problems at all..

If wireless clients are getting an ip address, you should be able to ping them unless their FW on their device blocks that.  You need to get a user to test to see if he can ping the gateway, but assuming the device can get an ip address, they should be.  Again, if the device has access to internal resources, then the issue is routing and not the WLC.  Please perform some testing so you can eliminate certain criteria.  My machine when connected to certain VPN network gets the limited.  And even after I disconnect, windows still shows limited icon in the tray, but I can get internet.

-Scott 

-Scott

Clients can ping the gateway but they can't ping each other (Destination host unreachable)..

Let's assume it's a routing issue, what can I do to solve it?

Clients on the same subnet should be able to ping each other unless their firewall is blocking ping. Since they can ping the gateway, can they ping another vlans gateway?

-Scott

-Scott

Actually, there is only one vlan (default) in the switch..

Can you post the ifconfig /all of your client. 

Is  this happening to all devices or just some of the devices ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Problem solved.

Thanks everyone.

It was a routing issue as Scott predicted.

Glad you got it working.

-Scott

-Scott

Is there any reason to run this WLC on 6.0.x code which is too old ?

I would upgrade this to a recent code (7.6.130.0 or 8.0.110.0) & test if all your APs are supported in a later code.

Here is WLC compatibility matrix

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Here is 8.0MR1 (8.0.110.0) release notes.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn80mr1.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card