cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Completely wireless modem (no router)- is it possible?

BenjaminLucas
Level 1
Level 1

I am a product designer looking into potential concepts but need a better understanding of the some of the electronics and components before I can go ahead with any of them.

In theory, is it possible to have a completely wireless modem? I have come across wireless modem+router combos but for this particular design idea I need for the modem to be a separate part and supply to ONLY ONE other device, but rather than it being wired, like in most modems, it should supply the signal WIRELESSLY. I apologise if I'm missing something very blatant here, I'm new to this side. Any help would be extremely appreciated. 

2 Replies 2

I do not really understand what exactly you want to achieve, but I assume that a wireless workgroup-bridge could be the device that you are looking for.

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I also don't fully understand your question.

In any case, Cisco APs are "just" access points without routing functionality. So they will "only" bridge the wireless signal to cable. You will need a standalone router which is ideally connected by wire to the access point. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card