Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration Cisco Aironet AIR-AP1010-E-K9

eric-hartman
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I need a little help or maybe just a hint what I make wrong.

I've got a used Cisco Aironet AP (1000series) and try to configure them.

I connect it with my Network and it got an IP, so I assume that DCHP is on and working, also I can ping the IP.

But If I try to use Telnet/SSH or Browser, nothing works. In the manual is an example configuration where they connect the AP to an "Controller". What is that controller for and do I really need it? I think I overseen something and hope you can give me little hint.

TIA

Eric

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@eric-hartman wrote:

I've got a used Cisco Aironet AP (1000series) and try to configure them.

Turn around and start walking.  When you hit the desert, keep on walking.  

AP1000 is 2.4 Ghz.  There is no place, not even home, where this can be of any use.  The co-channel interference alone will guarantee to make wireless painful to use.

Thanks for your remarks, but this was not my question

@eric-hartman wrote:
What is that controller for and do I really need it?

WLC = Wireless LAN Controller.  An appliance that manages a large quantity of APs.

ok. Thank you. So without this controller I have no chance to configure? is that right?

actually @Leo Laohoo https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1000-series-lightweight-access-point/product_data_sheet0900aecd8025708a.html says it's dual band!

@eric-hartman you can't use an AP with lightweight software installed without a controller.

In theory if you could find an autonomous IOS image for that AP (good luck, not from Cisco) then you could convert from lightweight to autonomous which does not require a controller.  I say good luck because that AP is so far out of support that you may have difficulty finding an image for it anywhere.

It went end of sale 13 years ago and end of support 8 years ago! 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1000-series/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd806c0c29.html

Even the suggested replacements are now end of support LOL.

@Rich R wrote:

actually @Leo Laohoo https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1000-series-lightweight-access-point/product_data_sheet0900aecd8025708a.html says it's dual band!

No, it is not.  

1010 is a single band (2.4 Ghz only).  

1020 is dual band.  
The op only has 1010 -- Single band radio.

@Leo Laohoo I'll defer to your product knowledge if the data sheet is wrong (?) but the data sheet lists:

AIR-AP1010-E-K9

Cisco Aironet 1000 Series 802.11a/b/g Access Point w/Int Antennas, ETSI configuration

It's even in the product name.  That's the model the OP referred to.

Maybe you're confusing it with the 2.4-only versions of the 1010 like the -R?

In the intro it says "The Cisco Aironet 1000 Series consists of three access points each featuring dual 2.4 and 5 GHz radios supporting 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g. In addition it is available with a single 2.4 GHz radio that supports 802.11g and 802.11b, for installations where 5 GHz is not allowed due to regulatory restrictions."

My apologies.  I have confused myself with the 1230.  

Yes, you are correct.  The 1010/1020/1030 is 802.11 a/b/g capable.

As a suggestion, I would also not anymore use this relict of an AP, try to get a used 3602i model, ideally with the autonomous image on Ebay or similar. They are also mostly out of support, but considerably newer and offer 802.11n on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. They go for around 20 - 30 USD on Ebay. But only do this, if you want to learn how Cisco autonomous APs worked ~7 years ago. Todays models will have completely different software and interfaces. 

@eric-hartman wrote:

So without this controller I have no chance to configure? is that right?

Autonomous IOS can be loaded into the AP to configure it without the need of a WLC, however, finding a valid copy of this IOS is going to be a challenge because the 1000-series AP has been end-of-support for more than 10 years already.   
When the end-of-support date has been reached, all files, including firmware, are removed from public.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: