cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure redundancy between 2 active Cisco Wireless Controllers (5508)

Harold Bueno
Level 1
Level 1

We have two (2) WLC 5508 currently in production, each with associated Access Points and Wireless devices. Now we would like to configure the redundancy between the two wireless controllers. I have not done configuring two devices in production with associated APs and Wireless devices so I'd like to get the opinion from the group. Shall I move/copy all APs and wireless devices to the primary WLC before configuring the redundancy? What else should we consider to successfully implement a redundancy between the 2 controllers and without affecting the existing users? Thanks in advance!

WLC #1 --- 12 APs and 170 wireless devices (roaming users between WLC#1 and WLC#2)

WLC #2 --- 8 APs and 170 wireless devices (roaming users between WLC#1 and WLC#2)

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

roaming users between WLC#1 and WLC#2

Inter-controller roaming is not recommended.  

If redunancy is key, then put all the APs in one controller and enable HA SSO.

Hi Leo, thank you very much for the quick note and suggestion. It is really appreciated.

Hi again,

What is the maximum cable length allowed for redundancy? Our WLCs are located on different sites with about 1 kilometer apart but a fiber optic cable is available - just waiting for media converter and fiber patch cables to complete the connection.

Thank you

This depends on the software version you are running. With >7.5 you can run the redundancy port over a switched/routed network and latency isn't anymore that important.

See here for the exact details: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/HA_SSO_DG/High_Availability_DG.html

The chapter named "High Availability in Release 7.5" is probably the one you're looking at.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card