cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configured Radio channel vs. Active Radio Channel

cnj_bucks
Level 1
Level 1

When logging into the web interface for some of our access points, I am noticing that the configured radio channel is different than the active radio channel.  Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two values is?

We are running 1141AP's in autonomous mode.   I am noticing on the AP's that have these values set at different channels, I can change the channel to what I would like.

Thanks,

Charlie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Reset Down state is a Radio driver problem in the code.. so we hv to upgrade the code to the latest either 12.4(25d)JA or even go for 12.4(21a)JY. This will for sure resolve the reset down issue..

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Charlie,

To answer this question better, it will be of great help if you could brief me out what exactly this means.. " I am noticing that the configured radio channel is different than the active radio channel." Where are you configuring this and how??

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

This is what is happening.  I am logging into the web interface, and I select the wireless radio from the home screen.  From there, that takes me to Network Interfaces\Radio0-802.11N.  On this page there are four tabs, the radio status, detailed status, settings, and carrier busy test.   On the settings tab, I can change the channel of the radio.  If I change the default radio channel to channel 1, I can then to the first tab, look at the section that says Configured Radio Channel and Active Radio Channel, the channel shows correctly as channel 1.  If I go back to settings, change the channel to 11,  the configured radio channel will show 11, but the active radio channel will show channel 6. 

At this location, we have four 1141 AP's.  what I would like to do is have them with the following channels:  AP1 - channel 1, AP2 - channel 6, AP3 - Channel 11, and AP4 - channel 1. Two of the AP's are operating normally.   the other two I am seeing the mix of channels between configured and active. 

If you want screenshots or configuration sample, I can include those as well.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the update!! and that was clear.. i just did a quick lab recreate on the same and i am not facing the issue that yo uare facing.. my 3 devices are staying on channel 1, 6 and 11 and even both the Configured and the Active are same!!..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

I understand.  What is strange is I have the same issue on another AP at another location.  I updated the IOS

to the latest release, and on that AP, the problem went away.

I'm going to try to disable the radios at the other AP's, and see if that makes any change.

One other issue that I am seeing with these AP's that on occasion, one of the AP's will have its radio go down.  When I go into the config, the radio interface shows "reset, protocol down" and the only way to fix that is to do a reload on the AP.

Charlie

Hi,

Reset Down state is a Radio driver problem in the code.. so we hv to upgrade the code to the latest either 12.4(25d)JA or even go for 12.4(21a)JY. This will for sure resolve the reset down issue..

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Looks like the IOS upgrade fixed this.  thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: