Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring WLC

Jobin Varghese
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am totally new to wireless controllers. I have configured access points, but now the organization is shifting to WLC and I have no idea as to properly configuring it. The diagram shows how the setup would pan out. I have added few screens of how i have managed to configure it so far.

• How is dual-band configuration achieved ?  
  • Should network routes be added ?
  • Can the controller be a secondary DHCP server to a windows Primary DHCP server ?
  • Am I doing it correct ? 
13 Replies 13

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hard to say if your configuration is right as that is a small sample you provided. Dual band you don't have to worry about since that is typically with the 3x02's with modules. You don't want to use the dhcp in the controller at all in your situation since you have a windows server. Might as well bring up a secondary windows dhcp server. Just make sure the service port is not connected to the network.  Network routes on the controller is not used.  Other than that, the other screenshots look okay.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Just make sure the service port is not connected to the network.

Could you elaborate on this point.

Jobin Varghese
Level 1
Level 1

I tired to upgrade the controller and I am not able to boot into the upgraded image. Anything I do, it still boots in the old image.

Did you reboot the controller?  The default boot shows the new image, so it should boot into that image.

-Scott 

-Scott

Did reboot a couple of times. I sense something wrong, every time I go to the reboot menu it shows me save and reboot option. When I does reboot, I loose connectivity and it comes back up but GUI still shows the old image. 

Any command I can give in CLI to boot into this image. 

Try a different code and also check the MD5 hash on the file. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Tried another two, but surprisingly the 8.0.140.0 worked but 8.2.141.0 is still show similar to the 8.3.102.0.

Upload the image twice as that will push the active image out.  Please be careful with this as I have only done this in a few occasions to clean out the images. I would download the image and check the MD5 again as it seems like the others didn't work. The controller does run through its checks prior to upgrading, but then again, I only had to do this a few times.

-Scott's 

-Scott

I tried the method and I believe I have bricked my device. 

I'm stuck in bootloader and there is no response from any interface except console.

You are not suppose to format the flash!  The method I mentioned was to upload the image twice to flush out the old image. Formatting the flash requires a special image from TAC and a process to upload the image.

Maybe you can request this from Cisco or ask in this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12758421/error-wireless-controller-2500-series

-Scott 

-Scott

What I actually did was upload the image twice and then it got stuck in the bootloader. 

Once it was stuck I tried all the options, even the flash format did nothing, clear configuration was same. 

Well its RMA.

Typically is unless the provide the two images. 

-Scott 

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: