cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting both directional and omni antennas to 1572 AP for 2.4 & 5G

sobin peter
Level 1
Level 1

Planning to implement a wireless network having 1572 series access point, which will be having both omni and directional antenna. In a single AP, shall we connect 1 x air-ant2513p4m-n=(directional antenna) & 2 x AIR-ANT2568VG-N=(omni antenna) to serve both 2.4 and 5 GHz. 

Please note that the directional antenna has 4 cables. We shall use 2 port in the access point for omni antenna and other 2 for directional antenna. Will wit work like this. If yes, can someone help me providing any links for details.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sobin peter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tony 

Appreciating your detailed description and its really helpful.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not going to work.

Hi Leo. 

Thanks for the response. 

If we have both omni and directional antenna. So as mentioned above, if we connect 2 x omni antenna on the below ports and configure it for 2GHz and connect the directional antenna on the AP top side ports to configure only 5GHz. 

May I know your suggestion please. 

@sobin peter wrote:

If we have both omni and directional antenna. So as mentioned above, if we connect 2 x omni antenna on the below ports and configure it for 2GHz and connect the directional antenna on the AP top side ports to configure only 5GHz. 

I do not want to sound like a broken record but I have already answered this question.

@sobin peter wrote:

May I know your suggestion please. 

I am not going to many any suggestions without first knowing what the customer want(s) to accomplish/achieve. 

Alternatively, do not go "cheap" -- If you do not know what you are doing, get a wireless site survey done properly.  

Tony Rosolek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sobin, 

what's your goal with the two different antennas? Do you want to "extend the coverage"?

Antennas connected to "one radio" shall have same type and orientation. It's not recommended to cover different areas, with antennas pointing in different directions. Such installation cause various problems, like collisions and connectivity problems. One issue is, that the AP might send some spatial streams on antennas 1+2 and other streams on antenna 3+4 which point in different directions and will therefore not reach the client. 

By default the 4 antenna ports of the 1572 AP run in dual band mode, that means that the 2.4 and 5 GHz radio share the same antenna ports. Depending on your use case, an option could be to change from dual band mode to single band mode. In that configuration the antenna ports 1+2 at the bottom of the AP are 2.4 GHz only and antenna ports 3+4 are 5 GHz only. In that configuration you could use different antennas in 2.4 and 5 GHz band and the antennas could also point in different directions. Such configuration could make sense in case you use the AP as Mesh AP and one radio as backhaul and the other one to serve clients.

Another option would be to use a different AP model, which has flexible or more than two radios. An AP with two 5 GHz radios and multiple external antenna connectors could use different antennas and cover different areas. 

1572 antennas.jpg

||| Please rate helpful posts. Thanks! |||

Hi Tony,

Could you please give a bit more clarity in your statement "Antennas connected to "one radio" shall have same type and orientation. It's not recommended to cover different areas, with antennas pointing in different directions"

If i connect 2 x directional antennas in an access point for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. Will it work. Both antennas shall be directed to different locations. 

If you configure the 1572 AP from dual band to single band mode, you can use two antenna connectors to connect a 2.4 GHz directional antenna und the other two antenna connectors to connect a directional 5 GHz antenna. Both of them can cover different areas. 

But why you want to do that? What is your use case?

With the configuration described above, you would cover one area with 2.4 GHz only and the other area with 5 GHz only. You would also cripple the very expensive 4x4 AP to 2x2. If the price/budget is the limiting factor maybe 2x 1562 APs would be an alternative. The 1562D already has a directional antenna integrated. It is "only" 2x2, but way cheaper than the 1572. 

||| Please rate helpful posts. Thanks! |||

sobin peter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tony 

Appreciating your detailed description and its really helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: