Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller - Bridge or Router?

s.vautour
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have what I think is a very basic question about the WLAN Controllers yet I can't seem to find the answer in the manuals.

The "thick" Cisco APs act as L2 bridges. They forward frames at L2. How do the Controllers work? Are end user packets tunneled inside LWAPP frames from the AP to the Controllers or is LWAPP just for the communication between the AP and Controller? Can the APs use a seperate VLAN for end user traffic and AP-Controller LWAPP traffic (a management VLAN)? Do end user frames have to go through the Controller to reach the rest of the network or does the AP put them directly on the proper VLAN like the Thick APs do?

I've checked the Controller manuals and it isn't clear to me. If I've missed something, please point it out.

Thanks,

Serge

2 Replies 2

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

Cisco wireless LAN controllers are ideal for enterprise and service provider wireless LAN deployments and provide system wide wireless LAN functions, such as creating and enforcing security policies, intrusion prevention, RF management, quality of service (QoS), and mobility. They work in conjunction with Cisco lightweight access points and Cisco Wireless Control System (WCS) to provide the control, scalability, and reliability that IT managers need to build secure, large-scale wireless networks.

Cisco wireless LAN controllers smoothly integrate into existing enterprise and service provider networks. They can communicate with Cisco lightweight access points over any Layer 2 (Ethernet) or Layer 3 (IP) infrastructure using the Lightweight Access Point Protocol (LWAPP). With Cisco wireless LAN controllers, important wireless LAN configuration and management functions can be completely automated across all enterprise and service provider locations-from branch offices to outdoor campuses.

For more information on WLAN controllers read, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6307/products_qanda_item0900aecd802570be.shtml

Hello,

Thanks for trying but that doesn't really answer my questions. I have seen this FAQ and others, they don't answer my questions either.

-Does all end user traffic flow through the Controller?

-If it does:

-is the traffic encapsulated inside LWAPP?

-does the Controller bridge or route the traffic?

-With multiple SSIDs with SSID to VLAN mapping, is the end user traffic sent to the VLAN at the AP or the controller? Again, routed or bridged?

-If it's done at the controller, wouldn't this require all traffic to be sent from the AP to the Controler inside LWAPP frames?

As you can tell, the routed vs bridged piece is important to me. I need to understand this to make proper design choices are this product. Essentially, I need the end user frames (original source MAC) untouches until it gets to my first hop router outside the WLAN infrastructure. This is not a problem today as the thick APs (with WDS) are bridges. Is this the same with the Controllers?

Thanks,

Serge

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card