cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converged Access Wireless Architecture

RON ROYSTON
Level 1
Level 1

Am I missing something, or is Meraki clearly the best choice and value in next-generation 802.11ac wireless?  Meraki delivers control/data plane separation, wIPS, CMX, Locations Tracking, all the high end features (orderable under 2 skus, btw).

Cisco’s Converged Access solution paired with the Prime, MSE-CMX, MSE-wIPS, management overlay appears to achieve performance and feature parity with Meraki, but:

• requires the use of a 3650 or 3850 model switch to match performance and feature parity with Meraki.
  • Performance parity with Meraki requires specialized Cisco 3650 or 3850 model switches, and atleast 3 servers – Prime Infrastructure, MSE-CMX, and MSE-wIPS.
  • Cisco CMX functionality (Foot traffic by time of day, new vs repeat visitors, dwell time, splash/land page based on location, etc.) begins at 200 access points.
  • Cisco Prime Infrastructure functionality begins at 25 access points.
  • Promo bundles including features (aka management) begin at 50 access points / 10 3850 switches / $186k list. onenetwkadv

$12,490 for 10 Meraki MR32 Access Points with 5 years of service.

$85,000 for 10 Cisco 3702 Access Points with 5 years of service.  Limited features (CMX does not actually work here).  PLUS, an approx $7,500 of additional server installation services.

In other words, can you tell me why I would want to install a Cisco WLAN over a Meraki?  The Maeraki delivers the most features and has the best patented protocol / architecture for separating control and data traffic.  Or, no?  ...Right?

- Ron Royston, CCIE #6824

36 Replies 36

Scott, Cisco converged access is required for the features (deep packet inspection) and performance (local switching) of the Meraki offering.

So, why would you purchase legacy AireOS architecture/system vs Meraki?

My question/post is not useless and terms like Cadillac, Lexus, and Toyota are not helping much.

Yes it is.  There is a sane reason why Cisco purchased Meraki.  And that very reason is marketing niche.  Meraki will fill a step in the ladder in regards to COST and due to this cost, Cisco is willing to ensure Meraki's product will NOT be "at par" with Aerospace.  Cisco Aerospace product is in a position to fill the space of "premium-grade" enterprise wireless while Meraki will fill the space of "affordable" enterprise wireless.  Same with cars.  Same with flying first-/business-class and economy.   Because Meraki is CHEAPER, then there are features, that Meraki will not have that Cisco Aerospace can.  If I remembered correctly, CleanAir is an exclusive domain of the Aerospace product and won't go "down" to the Meraki-level.  Because Meraki is cheaper, cloud-based controller makes sense because a number of SMB can't afford to make an outright purchase of a WLC.  It all boils down to cost.  

Scott has been in the wireless long before I have.  He's done a lot of implementation and has vast knowledge of the different vendors.  George, however, is a niche on his own.  He's got skills to make wireless whistle whatever tune you want.  

I won't provide you with a "product comparison" about what Meraki can/can't do.  As you work for a Cisco gold channel partner, you should have in-depth access to these information.  

Even better, why not get a few kits of the Meraki and Cisco and do a comparison.  This way you can confidently tell prospective clients, "I've even set up both of them at my work lab and ..."

Leo, the homepage for Meraki wireless says their AP's have a dedicated chipset just like the SAgE chipset mentioned in the Clean Air marketecture.

I understand your surprise at the results of this pointed thread.

"If you introduce a disruptive idea, First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - unknown

✗ Made accidental posting here from different thread

Ron, 

If you're a Cisco partner, you should have access to information even I don't have the luxury.  

5760 ... G0d forbid you sell one of this.  Please don't.  If you want to sell a stable WLC, then 5508 and/or WiSM-2 is your first call.  

I have heard rumours of two potentially new WLC:  5520 and 8540.

RON ROYSTON
Level 1
Level 1

After further review, it appears that the 3702i delivers 4x4:3 MIMO while the MR34 delivers 3x3:3 MIMO.  So, does this mean the 3702i delivers better performance?  If so, I guess that would be a reason to go with Cisco ONE/CA.

Keep in mind too --

3700 4x4:3 is with 20w (802.3at)

3700 3x3:3 is with 15.4 (802.3af)

Really the extra 1x1: gets you better legacy communication ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin