cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert 3850 to MA

marc.groenen
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so i have this setup of a WLC 5760 with about 400 AP's.

The edge of the environment is non Cisco so the AP's are currently connected to non Cisco switches.

For a proof of concept we implemented Cisco 3850's in 1 building.

At first i had the 3850 as a normal switch not doing any mobility. 

After a few weeks the plan was to enable MA on the 3850's to see how the traffic flows and to see if the user experience is equal or better.

(Since the customer wants to know if its worthwhile to have the relative expensive 3850 in the edge instade of 2960x)

To enable the mobility agent feature i followed the following

https://mrncciew.com/2013/12/14/3850ma-with-5760mc/

I created the SPG on the 5760 and added the IP's of the wireless management interface of the 3850's.

On the 3850's i created a new interface in the same subnet as the AP's and WLC and added the wireless mobility controller IP.

After waiting a few minutes i checked the mobility state on the 3850's.

show wireless mobility summary

The 3850's learned there SPG and mobility and data tunnel was up to WLC and neigbouring partners.

So i thought everything was good.

Unfortunately all the AP's lost connectivity they could not rejoin the 5760 or 3850's.

I SSH'd into one of the affected AP's but couldnt really see anything was wrong.

Didnt have a lot of time for debugging so i rolled the configuration back.

Is there anything i have missed ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Did you configure  AP country code on your 3850?

Since no sync of config between MC & MA you need to configure all your wireless configuration manually on your 3850.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Did you configure  AP country code on your 3850?

Since no sync of config between MC & MA you need to configure all your wireless configuration manually on your 3850.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Ok so you mean also the SSID configuration etc should have been added to the MA?

I thought this was only needed on MC's.

No, you need to manually configure MAs(unless you running latest 16.x code with MC-MA sync feature)

HTH

Rasika

Ok so i totally missed that :\

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card