Helpful
Replies

Convert AP 9115 to EWC 'Failed to save vrrp-ip.txt'

dawnccier
Level 1
Level 1

I am converting ap 9115 to EWC.

Issue1.

After I set the ip address and gateway on the interface Gi for EWC.

I enter 'write' command to save the configuration.

But the error log is displayed on the screen "Failed to save vrrp-ip.txt".

I have also set the switch port as trunk and native vlan.

The ICMP is still unreachable even ping itself IP address. So the gateway IP is also unreacheable. But when I return it to AP and set capwap ap ip which is in the same subnet, ICMP is reacheable to the gateway. So there is no any hardware issue on the AP port.

I think the configuration I have set is not effective due to "Failed to save vrrp-ip.txt".

error.png

Issue2.

So I return it from EWC to AP mode and tried  to upload newer os file, but the error log is displayed even the OS version is higher than current running OS version.

error1.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If there is another wlc in the same broadcast domain, ewlc will give issues. So isolate your broadcast domain and try again as by design ewlc will not co-exist with another any WLC in the same broadcast domain.

Do not try to delete backup image, due to space constraints in the AP, ewlc uses backup image partition to store it's controller related files.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, Please make sure that the upstream switchport is correctly configured.

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan <Management_VLAN-ID>

!

Also note that you need to have a default route.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <Gateway IP>

or ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Gig0

!

Also make sure that whatever the IP you set as EWC IP is excluded from your DHCP server. But let the internal AP get the IP from DHCP server. Important thing to remember is that EWC image will not boot up if there is another EWC, AireOS or 9800 WLC in the same broadcast domain. The AP will continue to function as a normal lightweight capwap AP until the other WLCs are removed from the network.

Hi Arshadsaf,

I ensure that the setting of switch port is correct. And the 'ip route' is also configured on the EWC.

I have tried to return EWC to AP by command and assign the capwap IP address to ping its gateway.

The ICMP is reachable. So there is no issue existing on the switch port.

I have tried the following method to figure out issue1.

Method1.

User command 'wireless ewc-ap factory-reset' under EWC mode, but the EWC hostname is still 'WLC' not expected WLC+MAC address.

So the ICMP is still unreachable to itself IP or gateway.

Method2.

Use "mode" button to reset AP as factory configuration. But the same result.

Method3.

In EWC mode, delete C9800-AP-iosxe-wlc.bin from backup_image. It still does not work.

Issue2.

But there is a C9800 WLC existing in the same broadcast domain.

So is it leading to the issue 2 or 1?

If there is another wlc in the same broadcast domain, ewlc will give issues. So isolate your broadcast domain and try again as by design ewlc will not co-exist with another any WLC in the same broadcast domain.

Do not try to delete backup image, due to space constraints in the AP, ewlc uses backup image partition to store it's controller related files.

Kareem55qq
Level 1
Level 1

plz i cant understand

Kareem55QQ
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card