Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting AIR-AP2802E-E-K9 to Mobility Express

neofit.solovan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My company just purchased 3 x AIR-AP2802E-E-K9. While booting, all of them are looking for a wireless controller. Since we don't have one, I'm trying to convert one of APs to Mobility Express.

Checking Cisco's documentation for Aironet 2800 (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_Cisco_Mobility_Express_Deployment_Guide.pdf) they're saying: 

Step 1 Enter enable to go to privileged execution mode.

Step 2 Enter show version on the AccessPoint CLI.From the show versionoutput, you can determine the AP Image type and AP Configuration and can then proceed with the conversion process.

• Case 1: If the AP Image type is MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE and AP configuration is NOT MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE, only conversion of AP Configuration is required. Go to 5.

• Case 2: In the show version output, if the AP Image type and AP Configuration are not available, download of the Mobility Express image and conversion of AP Configuration is required. Go to 6.

Step 3 Enter the command below to change the AP Configuration to MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE. AP#ap-type mobility-express tftp:/// Since the Access Point has an AP Image type: MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE; a new image does not be downloaded. After the command is issued, the Access Point reboots and comes up as AP Configuration MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE .

Step 4 If AP Image Type and AP Configuration is not available in show version, it means that the AP is running CAPWAP image. To do the conversion, execute the command below: AP#ap-type mobility-express tftp:/// Example: AP#ap-type mobility-express tftp://10.18.22.34/AIR-AP1850-K9-8.1.120.0.tar Starting the ME image download... It may take few minutes to finish the download. Note After the image download is complete, it writesto flash followed by a reboot.

I feel confused, when I'm trying to connect the console cable to the AP I can't do anything, since it is constantly looking for a controller and I can't get the chance to type anything in. In other document (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/2800/quick/guide/ap2800iegetstart.html#pgfId-69227) they're saying:

• The access point console port is enabled for monitoring and debug purposes. All configuration commands are disabled when the access point is connected to a controller.

The AP is an AIR-AP2802E-E-K9, 8.2.20.16

Does anyone have any idea how to switch it to Mobility Express ?

Thank you!

4 Replies 4

ChadL
Level 1
Level 1

I had same issue. Here's how to convert:

1)You need to download the mobility express firmware for your device 

2)Use a TFTP software (I used TFTPD64) to host the firmware (keep it in the .tar format)

Tip: Google setup instructions for using TFTPD if you need help with it

3)In the console AP, type enable then authenticate (default username/pw is Cisco/Cisco)

4)Type sh version if you don't see anything about mobility express at all then it's in CAPWAP and you need to convert. If you see it say Not Mobility Express Capable then you just need to enable it ap-type mobility-express

5) If you don't see any mobility express information then you need to update the firmware. In my case, I pointed to my tftp server by typing in ap-type mobility-express tftp://192.9.1.54/AIR-AP1815-K9-ME-8-6-101-0.tar

Afterwards, it should flash the new firmware and reboot into Mobility Express mode. 

You can check again by re-authenticating and tying sh version and it should now show the mobility express FW

One issue I had with mine is the SSID still didn't broadcast (supposedly this is a known bug) so I'm trying to do it manually

How i can assign an ip address to the AP?

Is it possible manual or i need a dhcp server?

Regards

Wilber

Try:

capwap ap ip address <IP address> <subnet mask>
capwap ap ip default-gateway <IP address>

Ric 

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Hi ChadL

I have the same issue! After converting to Mobility Express the SSID still didn't broadcast! How to do this manually?
Thank you in advance

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card