Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy WLC configuration to next wlc in the same mobility group

MIKKO PALSALA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a 4400 WLAN controller up and running. We are planning to deploy a new controller to the same mobility group.

How we should configure the second WLC? From scratch, or could we use e.g. backup configuration from the first WLC (just to edit ip-address/hostname etc.)?

BR,

Mikko

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

Either will work but remember that copying requires the new controller to be off the network to avoid IP conflicts. I like to build from scratch then use WCS to push templates to insure identical configuration settings. Doing it local on the controllers is ok if you only have a few but if you have more than 5-10 you will find keeping all the controllers the same becomes a management nightmare.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

Either will work but remember that copying requires the new controller to be off the network to avoid IP conflicts. I like to build from scratch then use WCS to push templates to insure identical configuration settings. Doing it local on the controllers is ok if you only have a few but if you have more than 5-10 you will find keeping all the controllers the same becomes a management nightmare.

Dennis,

Wondering if you've tried using s atandardized CLI confiig for this. Do you use the Config Groups feature. Its good but has an awful interface and you have to disable and reenable the radios (remove and readd templates) to get all the QoS commands applied. Using a CLI command file (derived from a sh-running config) is fast but I'm wondering if something may get missed.

Thanks for your feedback,

Havent tried it that way but I think it would work. I would hate to fat finger a line though. It could be a bear to find.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card