cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCA 5 Ghz Channel List and UNII-2 channels

nh6we
Level 1
Level 1

Which channels should I have listed in my DCA 5Ghz channel list?  Should I be using or when should I use the Extended UNII-2 Channels

Thanks

7 Replies 7

All client devices may not support UNII-2 extended yet. So it is safe only to include, UNII-1, UNII-2 & UNII-3 channels in DCA channel list.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Would I want to leave UNI 2 extended disabled to this day?

thank you, 

Team plz let me know why we dont use this unii 2 extended in wireless channel start from 100 104 108 112

Might be due to your country where the access point will be located. Might not be approved for use.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Utilization of the 5 GHz range and channel list:

1. Less congestion, anyone who has been administrating or implemented a wireless knows how many other devices are using the 2.4 GHz range everything from BlueTooth devices (which is found in almost every phone), microwaves (found in office lunch/break rooms), to cordless phones. More particularly microwaves and cordless phones they will congest the 2.4 GHz spectrum without regard for any other device using the RF band. The 5 GHz does not suffer from as much interference as the 2.4 GHz  range does, of course proper survey’s should be done prior to rolling out a Wi-Fi network just to be sure.
  2. More non-overlapping channel, the 5 GHz range consists of 3 bands. These bands provide us with 21 non-overlapping channels this gives us the ability to more densely pack an area with 802.11a/n access points. Decreasing the amount of clients per AP (With proper load balancing) providing increased throughput, and making roaming a seamless process. Where as the 2.4 GHz range only gives us 3 non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11). Detailed information on each UNII band can be found below.
  3. Channel Bonding. While you can perform channel bonding in the 2.4 GHz it is better suited for the 5 GHz range. Channel bonding is how you achieve speeds up to 600 Mbps in 802.11n it does this by making the channels 40 MHz wide compared to 20 MHz wide. Channel bonding at the 5 GHz range still leaves you with 12 non-overlapping channel, while channel bonding in the 2.4 GHz range gives you 1 (possibly 2) channel.
  4. Future use. The next wireless standard after 802.11n, is most likely going to be 802.11ac which is promising us Wi-Fi speeds in the Gbps’s it plans to accomplish this by using 40, 80, or 160 MHz wide channels this is going to rule out the 2.4 GHz range completely. (Unless it’s changed.)
  • UNII-1/Lower Band (5.150 to 5.250 GHz) Non-overlapping channels 36, 40, 44, 48
  • UNII-2/Middle Band (5.250 to 5.350 GHz) Non-overlapping channels 52, 56, 60, 64
  • UNII-2 Extended (5.470 to 5.725 GHz) Non-overlapping channels 100, 104, 108, 112, 120, 124, 128, 136, 140
  • UNII-3/Upper Band (5.725 to 5.825 GHz) on-overlapping channels 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

shh5455
Level 3
Level 3

nh6we,

I would recommend enabling all of them unless you live near a weather or military radar station.  The UNII-2 extended ban has been ratified for a while so I think you'll find that most devices support them.  

12 channels is too many to pass up.  Do some due diligence to make sure you don't have any really old devices and see if they support these add'l channels.

HTH

Steven

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card