cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Detect incoming clients (presence detection)

davidsoler95
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We're looking for presence detection of some employees in our factory. We want to detect when some phones (with a unique MAC Address) connect to our network.

Could we make a SQL Query to see the active users? 

I read it can be do with a Radius server like freeRadius... you know if we can do a SQL Query in the Radius server to obtain the data? (I will ask in freeRadius forums, but I want to know if it's possible to do it without radius server)

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

you could do a 5 minute poll, containing a single ICMP poll, wont create that much,

otherwise you would need to keep radius authntication logs and query them constantly if one of 100 phones are sucessfully authenticated. and then somehow alert on that.

I know what I would do

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do these phone join your network in a single IP subnet?  If so, set out a ICMP poller and verify connectivity, as soon as it pings its on the network right?

Hope this helps

Yes, are in the same subnet. We think about this option but don't think it's a good idea because the phones must have a static ip and the ICMP poller use a lot of resources (>100 employees) :(

you could do a 5 minute poll, containing a single ICMP poll, wont create that much,

otherwise you would need to keep radius authntication logs and query them constantly if one of 100 phones are sucessfully authenticated. and then somehow alert on that.

I know what I would do

I will try, Dennis ;)

Thanks!

Not perfect system :(

iOS system doesn't respond to the pings after 1 minute with locked screens... Any idea to solve this problem or any other idea to get connections and desconnections with hours in the WLC?

We think DHCP could be a solution if it has short times to renew the DHCP concession... We are able to do it in Microsoft DHCP servers but... can get the info in a Cisco DHCP server like Cisco 2901?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card