Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP on Standalone AP

saquib.tandel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Recently provider upgraded copper DSL to FTTH ( fiber to the home ) with UTP interface coming out of modem. FTTH is shared 50mb with static IP public IP address. On which Cisco Access Point Model can I terminate the FTTH connection. Another requirement is AP should act as DHCP to give IP to Machine/Smartphones

Cheers

ST

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The AP does not do NAT, so your better off connecting the AP to a router and have the route do dhcp. The AP can provide dhcp to clients but you need to NAT and that's what a router would do.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Internet-----FTTH_Modem--------Router------------AP

looking at this setup, is it better to have DHCP on Router or AP

Having Two SSID on AP can i have two different subnets and restrict bandwidth on one of the subnet

curious to see the AP and router configuration on above setup but  couldnt find this scenario in cisco configuration and technotes

cheers

ST

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your router will need to be able to support multiple vlans and trunking. The AP will need to be trunked to the router or switch.

Here is a link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14496

-Scott

Here is a link in how to setup dhcp on an access point from George's blog.

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-auton-cli-commands/2010/3/8/autonomous-configure-a-cisco-ap-to-provide-dhcp-services.html

-Scott

I might suggest adding the dhcp to the router / switch. If you grow the network to more than 1 ap or if you want wired access router dhcp will service you better ..

Great link on the dhcp via ap! :)

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card