Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP OPTION 43 for Cisco 1130 & 1300 Lightweight Access Points

mohammed-amjad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have Cisco 1131 & 1300 Light Weight Acces Points and I have 5508 WLAN controller.  If i enable the wlan controller internal DHCP Server can this access points will work with this internal DHCP server or do i need to configure DHCP option 43 for these access points?  Can these access points works with LWAPP or do i need to configure CAPWAP?  Please can anyone explain me about this...........

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if the AP is on the same layer 2 segment as the management interface they should join.

What version of code are you running?  the 1300 is not supported beyond teh 7.0.x train.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_240_0.html#wp784306

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If i enable the wlan controller internal DHCP Server can this access points will work with this internal DHCP server or do i need to configure DHCP option 43 for these access points?

I'd recommend you use a DHCP server to do option 43 as the WLC doesn't have the capabilities to do so.

WLC DHCP can do end-user DHCP but will not provide IP Addresses to APs.

KS Lim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have similar enquiry on this.

My WLC is running HA mode, what is the IP I need to use for option 43 to provide redundancy?

refer to this scenario, shall I use 9.6.61.2 for option 43 ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

p/s: If the APs DHCP IPs sit in different vlan with WLC management interface, but they are routable. Will it works?

Hi KS,

You need to use the Management IP address of the primary (active) WLC.

As in your link, that corresponds to 9.6.61.2. That is right.

If APs in same VLAN as Management ip address as the WLC then DHCP option 43 is not even needed because they can discover the WLC by L3 broadcast.

Option 43 is intended for discovery if the APs are in different VLAN than the management ip address of the WLC and the management ip address is reachable. So the answer to your question is "Yes. It will work".

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card