Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP scope in WLC.

mastanbabu216
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

please any one confirm ,is it possible to configure the DHCP scope for APs in WLC ?

i am having 5508 controller connected to L3 switch..if it is possible what need to be done for that.

thanks in advance.

venkat

8 Replies 8

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes you can.. AP will grab an IP only if we have the pool in the same subnet as that of management Ip address..

http://cisco.biz/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080af5d13.shtml#Internal-DHCP

I personally do not recommend using this though..

Lemme know if this answered ur question and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

hi surendra

thanks for u r instant reply...

but if i want to use diff pool for aps what  need to be done.

and  one more thing ...

i want to configure 3 wlans .they are guest1,guest2 and corp users.

is it possible to configure ip MAC binding for Corp users ?

Hi Venkat,

WLC can lease IPs to APs only if we configure the pool in the same subnet as that of management interface.. having said that, its no possible to assign diff pool for AP which resides in diff subnet on the WLC.. We need to go for either Pool on the Layer 3 device or DHCP server.

IP MAC binding is already enabled on the WLC by default.. AFAIK, this is more usefull for PASSIVE clients rather to active

Lemme know if this answered ur question and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

thanks surendra....

No problem!! Lemme know if this answered ur question

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Just curious why don't you recommend using the internal DHCP server on the WLC?

DHCP feature on WLC is just for small deployment not for medium and large.. it will be like burden and a ONE point failure!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Ok that makes sense.  I am currently using the internal DHCP server but I don't have a huge wireless network so for now its ok.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: