cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different SSIDs on same interface -Cisco 5508

ritchie65
Level 1
Level 1

I have local WLC and have created a test SSID using same controller interface as production SSID.

The test SSID config mirrors the prod SSID with the exception of the Auth/Acct servers.

We have an issue when a test user connects to the new test SSID but they do not receive an IP address.

The question I have is, can we use 2 SSIDs on same controller interface? 

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... can we use 2 SSIDs on same controller interface? 

- In general that should work but it depends a bit on what you mean exactly therefore  have a checkup of the current controller configuration using this procedure : https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/show-the-complete-configuration-without-breaks-pauses-on-cisco/ta-p/3115114#toc-hId-1039672820
                         Feed the output into : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what version of code running, personally i have tested with 8.5.x code with 5508 duplicate of SSID for testing using different auth system, that works as expected.

user get IP address from DHCP Server.

may be run debug and see what is wrong ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi @ritchie65 

The WLC can support up to 512 WLANs (SSIDs)  and you can have only one interface. There is no directly limitation relationship.

But, keep in mind that the clients will get IP address after successfuly authentication. Make sure they are authenticatiing successfuly on this radius server you are using.

If they are authenticating but not getting IP address, explain how your setup looks like. Check if the WLC is configured as proxy for DHCP, check if the WLC have the DHCP server configured on the dynamic interface. Check if the Core have "helper-address" on the interface vlan, in case you use external DHCP server.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Yes, you can have multiple SSID on same interface.

before DHCP (L3), make sure your L2 is good, check logs on radius.

Check policy manage state for client, it will tell you what state client is in, if it passed L2 auth, it will be DHCP pending state, confirm ?

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card