cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do APs reboot after 802.11b/g Global Data Rate changes (Disabled/Supported/Mandatory)

ritchie65
Level 1
Level 1

If a change to the Data rate options in 802.11b/g Global Parameters from Disabled to Supported or Mandatory is made, do the  APs have to reboot to implement the new configuration?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I believe the radios will reset which will cause a small outage for a few seconds. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

saravlak
Spotlight
Spotlight

AP won't reboot, All clients joined(on all WLANs) to the AP radios get kicked momentarily and join back.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... the interruption is the same if you make changes to the wlan.  So depending on your devices and how fast they reconnect, will determine your outage.  There can be devices that might take longer to re-associate and possibly some that my need to be bounced.

-Scott

4 Replies 4

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On WLC, no. On EWC, no idea. 

One important thing though, you first need to disable 2.4 or 5 GHz before you can change the rates and afterwards enable it again. So the clients will drop off while you change it, do it in a maintenance window. 

So do it first for one frequency, wait some 30+ seconds and then do it for the other frequency. That way the clients would have less down time. 

I believe the radios will reset which will cause a small outage for a few seconds. 

-Scott

saravlak
Spotlight
Spotlight

AP won't reboot, All clients joined(on all WLANs) to the AP radios get kicked momentarily and join back.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... the interruption is the same if you make changes to the wlan.  So depending on your devices and how fast they reconnect, will determine your outage.  There can be devices that might take longer to re-associate and possibly some that my need to be bounced.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card