Views
Helpful
Replies

Double RJ45 port on access point

brunot8293
Level 1
Level 1

hi everybody, 

I have a question about APs: why newer APs have two RJ-45 interfaces? What is the purpose of a second port?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is one of the APs where you can configure a port-channel between the switch and the AP. The available bandwidth is increased to 2*1Gig between Switch and AP. In reality it is extremely unlikely that you will ever hit the 1Gig limit of a single port.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

one is for console port another one for Data for use high level, not sure what model you referring - my answer not correct, please give more information to give right input.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for your reply! 

Consider for example the MR52 AP. It has two ports 10/100/1000Base-T but a maximum aggregate frame rate of 2.5 Gbit/s.

My questiions are:

How can reach 2.5 Gbit/s of aggregate frame with only one port 1000 Base-T?

Can the two RJ45 ports be used for data? 

Thank you!

This is one of the APs where you can configure a port-channel between the switch and the AP. The available bandwidth is increased to 2*1Gig between Switch and AP. In reality it is extremely unlikely that you will ever hit the 1Gig limit of a single port.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@brunot8293 wrote:

I have a question about APs: why newer APs have two RJ-45 interfaces? What is the purpose of a second port?

Sales purposes. 

Every other AP manufacturer have APs with double data ports so why can't/don't Cisco have one (and priced equally higher)? 

NOTE:  
I have several AP3700 with daily client count of >60 and I have not received any complaints.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... the “newer” 91x0 access points only have one Ethernet port now.  However, it is an mGig port if you have an mGig capable switch or not. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card