Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrade software from 8.10.105.0 to 8.8.125.0

vtravalja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have installed newest version of firmware on Aironet AP1832i. I noticed some issues on android devices connecting to access points. Since it is not only 1 device on 1 location but on several of them and various access points (of same type AP1832i), I am guessing that 8.10.x version has some bugs.

I wanted to downgrade this to 8.8.125.0 version, but when I used HTTP transfer mode on Mobility express, it shows, that number of APs initiated 13, but non of them has been updated. In fact when I used console cable, and rebooted one of them, I get message that version of firmware is 8.10 and downloaded firmware is 8.8 (obviously lower), so skipping update/downgrade...

How can I downgrade firmware on AP1832i?

I found something that I can use command:

archive dw-software /reload tftp://<ip of tftpserver>:/<path>/<whichfirmware?!?!?>

when I wrote which firmware, I also need clarification. In zip folder I have several of them:

ap1g1,ap1g4,ap1g4-capwap,ap1g5,ap1g2,ap1g3, apname_decoder.inc, ap_supp_list.inc, c3700 and version.info

which of ap1g is for my access point?

P.S. also to mention that I don't use physical controller to control access points, but one of access points act as a controller...

Looking forward for your replies.

Brgds

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

vtravalja
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for very informing documentation which I already saw, that is why I chose previous firmware version 8.8, to avoid most of problems. The problem is that it downloads firmware and starts sending to access point, and first access point which is receiving the update, it gets stuck on "predownloading" process, for more then 30 minutes, which is not normal.

It looks like somehow it does not proceed to installation to flash and reboot the AP, and then rest of AP should follow.

In here you find the image names:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/88/release_notes/b_ME_RN_88.html

Downgrading is actually not documented for mobility express, so I'm not entirely sure if it's actually supported. You can probably downgrade the master AP by hand and then reboot all other APs, in the hope that they will downgrade automatically on the reboot. Not sure if that works though, or if you must manually downgrade each AP.

Regarding the Android issue, a user wrote that additionally enabling WPA3 on the SSID helped that the Andoid devices could connect again.

Thnx, I forgot to mention that I fixed my problem.
For some reason yesterday it got stuck on predownloading, then this morning I reset whole controller with access points (along with my TFTP server), and start process again, but also selected TFTP instead of HTTP, and point to the installation folder. I found out those image names which is for what AP. for example in my case AP1832i is "ap1g4" that is used. And after that I did manage to completely downgrade version. I did use as a test 1 access point and do CLI of archive download-sw /reload tftp://<serverIP>/<path> and it did the job.
it did do the downgrade, the only thing controller has reset config and set WPA2-Enterprise as default, so I had to insert copy of my config which I had before upgrade to 8.10.x

Now everything seems to work fine.

Brgds

lucasfreitas83
Level 1
Level 1

Hello vtravalja,

This AP works with autonomous?

Because if you work with a WLC, only WLC need upgrade/downgrade.

Please rate and mark posts accordingly if you have found any of the information provided useful.
It will hopefully assist others with similar issues in the future.

Best regards,
Lucas Freitas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card