cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrading 5508 from 7.0.116.0 to 7.0.98.218

Ryan Curry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I've just gotten in two new 5508 controllers that have come preinstalled with code version 7.0.116.0.  My issue is that when I go to downgrade these to 7.0.98.218 I get an error after the Image version check is passed stating the following:

ERROR:  Incompatible SW image.

ERROR:  Please install the Data Payload Encryption licensed image.

I've tried multiple times to no avail, I've also gone as far as installing the LDPE image of 7.0.116.0 thinking it needed that before downgrading but it still didn't work.

Any ideas / suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you are looking to run the MR.5 instead of MR1 on the controller?

along with the bug fixes that are in 7.0.98.218, 7.0.116.0 has more fixes as well.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

My main reason is because it was suggested by my Cisco Wireless rep to go with that version.  According to him it's a more stable release; also 7.0.98.218 is what Vocera is currently using in their environment and since there's no Assurewave certified 7.0 version I want to stick with the version the vendor is using.

Check was SW you exaclty downloaded.

The LDPE is made for countries where encryption requires a special government license. Unless you are in such a specific country (which I doubt) you need the normal software.

It would look to me like you had the 7.0.116 "normal" and downloaded the 7.0.98.218 LDPE ?

Thanks for the reply and information about LDPE Nicolas, but 7.0.116.0 is the first version of code that's come out with this licensing option so I don't believe that's the issue.  You are correct though, I'm not in a country that would prevent me from using the standard image.

Might have to TAC this one.

Ryan,

You are correct, 7.0.116.0 is the first WLC image where we have the normal and then LDPE image available. The LDPE image is intended for countries that require special licensing for data payload encryption.

In order to comply with export laws, we do not allow units that have LDPE image installed to be converted to normal software -- I think this is the problem you are currently facing.

At this point you should go ahead and open up a TAC case to discuss your options in further detail. You can include a link to this thread in your problem description.

-Patrick Croak

Wireless TAC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card