cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrading WLC 5508 software from 8.0 to 7.0

rhushi
Level 1
Level 1

I have WLC 5508 which is running on 8.0.135.0. And the licence is factory loaded. I need to downgrade my WLC software from 8.0.135.0  to  7.0.235.3

Is it possible to do this.?

And if I do this is there any issue with licence.? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You should have a backup copy of your license file or at least support just in case you need to recover the license file. Downgrading is okay, but your config will change a bit and you just need to ensure that the config is okay.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

rhushi
Level 1
Level 1

Successfully downgraded to 7.0.235.3. Licence is still there in the WLC.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You should have a backup copy of your license file or at least support just in case you need to recover the license file. Downgrading is okay, but your config will change a bit and you just need to ensure that the config is okay.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Scott Fella

Thanks Scott,

Can u please guide me to backup my licence file.?

The problem is we have two 5508 boxes, one having 250 AP licence and the other came as HA box. Then I don't have any idea how the licence is applied to the boxes.

What's the reason for this downgrade ?

As scott said, you can go ahead with downgrade. However code version point of view, you may need to consider the version that you used.

In 7.0.x releases, 7.0.252.0 is the one you should use and 8.0.x, 8.0.152.0 is the one.

Process point of view it is same as upgrade (see below). If there is certain commands that available in 8.0.x many not be there in 7.0.x. Log the console output during downgrade process, as it will show if certain commands in config does not apply to 7.0.x

https://mrncciew.com/2013/03/14/downgrading-wlc-software/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks @Rasika Nayanajith,

We have WCS (7.0.230.0) in our network which currently manages our 4 controllers ( 2 WISM ), and we need to add the new 5508 WLC to WCS. WCS doesn't support 8.0 release. So that we are trying to downgrade from 8.0.135.0 to 7.0.235.3. 

I suggest you to upgrade the WLC to PI, but that's not free.
Regarding the downgrade, just do it the same way as an upgrade, but do it with attached console cable and record the whole boot process. That way you can fix possible changed commands afterwards. Unless the controller is fresh and unconfigured, then simply downgrade and make a fresh configuration.

rhushi
Level 1
Level 1

Successfully downgraded to 7.0.235.3. Licence is still there in the WLC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: