cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eap request-timeout 60; Good or Bad ?

sin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a device manufacture there are requesting the following change on a customer's WLC 5508.

config advanced eap identity-request-timeout 60

config advanced eap request-timeout 60

I have studied many guides but I can't find out if there is a down-side to setting the timeout this high.

Could it result in slow roaming or reauthentication if there is a connection error?

The customer have large areas with high client density and some outdoor areas with low client density.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yeah, when I wrote that it was designed more around voice deployments, and to fix the troubleshooting guide that showed the values all pushed to max.

Generally 5sec is a good maximum, as most things will reply within that time frame, but it's not so long as to cause an interruption if the device doesn't respond

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The issue with setting the timeout that high is interruption of service if the client doesn't respond.

Take a look at this doc that goes over this.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12110

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thank's Steve. That is also what I have concluded so far.

One thing that bugs me is that the article you mention states that no more than 5 secunds makes sense. But the default on newer generation WLC software is 30 secunds?

yeah, when I wrote that it was designed more around voice deployments, and to fix the troubleshooting guide that showed the values all pushed to max.

Generally 5sec is a good maximum, as most things will reply within that time frame, but it's not so long as to cause an interruption if the device doesn't respond

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card