Views
Helpful
Replies

Embedded Wireless Controller on 9300-U

techno.it
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks

I have 9300-U 48 port switch and 5 x 9120 Wifi6 access points. Can this switch be configured as embedded as wireless controller without DNAC and SD-Access deployment. This is very small and single site deployment and purchasing separate WLC will be just waste of resources.

Appreciate any insights and suggestions.

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-  What exact model are you referring to with '9300-u' ? Post full model name and or as seen from show version

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

C9300-48U-A

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it can be done if the switch is running 17.X.X firmware.  

Use 17.3.X firmware on the switch (Install Mode) and then install the eWLC file (GUI or CLI).

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

eWLC in 9300 switches are discontinued and announced EOL. At the moment newer versions only support SD-Access. 

Products - Cisco Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst Switches (Non-SD-Access) Deployment Guide - Cisco

I would highly recommend you to consider deploying eWLC in Catalyst AP instead of the Switches. Feature wise both are same.

eWLC in AP deployment guide;

Embedded Wireless Controller Conversion on Catalyst 9100 Access Points - Cisco

@Arshad Safrulla wrote:

eWLC in 9300 switches are discontinued and announced EOL. At the moment newer versions only support SD-Access. 

I do not think so.  

The latest eWLC for the 9300 is 17.7.1 (release date 07 December 2021).

It only supports SD-Access mode, doesn't support autonomous mode. Last version it supported is 17.3.X

@Arshad Safrulla 

Out of 5 APs I have, one can be configured as eWLC ?

Yes, you can covert 1 AP to be EWC. Also you want to have a redundant eWLC that is also possible. But IMHO, site is very small you should be able to survive with one ewlc.

Refer the configuration guide;

Cisco Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst Access Points Configuration Guide, IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.x - AP Priority [Cisco Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst Access Points] - Cisco

@Arshad Safrulla 

Awesome. Thank you.

Any specific licensing requirements that I should be concerned of  or DNA Advantage license are enough ?

DNA licenses are needed only if you are connecting this AP to a physical or virtual appliance WLC or SD-Access. If you don't have any plans to connect these AP's to a WLC appliance then I would say RMA it and get the credit if possible. EWLC doesn't need any DNA licenses, you just need to pay for SmartNet.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card