Views
Helpful
Replies

Error when adding a WLC to WCS

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When adding a WLC to WCS I get this error: Failed to add device to WCS Reason:

COMMON-1: Some unexpected internal error has occured. If the problem persists please report to the Tech Support.

WCS 7.0.164.0 was upgraded from 5.2.110.0 because the WLC were running 7.0.98.0

WLC4404-100 7.0.98.0 (Already in WCS)

WLC4402-12 7.0.98.0 (Changed the ip address of the management and ap manager.  Was in WCS but deleted from WCS prior to the ip address change and prior to the WCS being upgraded)

I know that the snmp strings are fine and that the WLC's both respond to snmp get commands.

The intial WCS upgrade from 5.2.110.0 to 7.0.164.0 didn't require the previous version to be uninstalled.  After the upgrade and restoring the WCS from backup. I was getting the error posted above.  We uninstalled WCS and re-installed WCS from scratch and still we are getting the same error.  We tried restarting the WCS services and also the VM box as well and not luck.  I was wondering if the WCS has the old ip and mac address of the WLC4402-12 in the database and that is why i'm getting this error.

I did delete and try different snmp community strings with no luck with WCS.  Again, snmp is working since I can do snmp get from the WLC's.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
10 Replies 10

maldehne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IF the WCS has been defined as trap receiver on the WLC , try to remove and then try add to the WLC to WCS.

Once done, you can add the WCS again as trap receiver on the controller.

It was originally and I did remove it after changing the ip address on the WLC4402-12.  Still no luck

-Scott

Hard to say. Can you set logging level to trace on WCS and then re-add the WLC and download the logs ?

Nicolas

I will try that on Monday.  I'm also going to reinstall WCS add the license file and see if I can add the WLC without doing a restore.  If that works, then I know the backup has some bad data and I guess all the maps and AP's have to be redone.

-Scott

Which log file do you want me to actually look at?

-Scott

Just download the bundle from the GUI.

The tomcat + wcs0.log files are the most useful

Nicolas

I attached the tomcat and the wcs0-0.log  The address of the WLC i'm adding is 172.23.0.12. Let me know what you see.

-Scott

Well.... I was able to get WCS to add the WLC.  I restored the WCS to a previous date prior to deleting the original WLC with the old ip address.  Once the restore was completed, I just added the WLC with the new ip address and it took with no issues.  I then proceeded to delete the old WLC ip address from WCS.  I'm glad I didn't have to rebuild WCS:)

-Scott

Scott,

This is the issue:

com.cisco.common.persistence.transaction.TransactionException: Null value was assigned to a property of primitive type setter of com.cisco.server.managedobjects.aaa.GuestUserTemplateCG.userStatus

Could be an existing bug or a new one. I cant say unless I look into your setup.

The thing was, I took an older backup and do a restore.  After the restore, I was able to add the WLC with no issues.  I just think there was an issue when I deleted the WLC before I did a backup.  I bet if I left that WLC and then did a backup, I might of gotten luck with adding the WLC and then removing the old WLC.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card