Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

External dipole antennas

Hi,

In which situation you'd recommend external dipole antennas with 2602AP?

Thanks,

Vin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thats a great question. I too had a similar question based on internal or external when both antennas are rated the same or very similar. Here is how I look at it ..

When you purchase an access point to allow external antennas it gives you the ability to shape the signal. if you need to shape the signal in a specific direction to lessen co-channel interference external antennas are your ticket. Or perhaps you have a need to strengthen the signal with passive gain by adding a strong antenna.

If you purchase an external ap and put the same rated antennas as an internal ap what do you really gain ? Nothing if you ask me other than future flexibility.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depends on what you are doing.  Genearlly if you are just mounting to regular 10' high ceilings I wouldn't go external.  I'd start looking external if you're up around the 20'+ area

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so basically the main advantage is for high ceiling areas? Can you explain the reason please?

Thanks,

Vin

a standard 2.2dBi external antenna has the same pattern as the internal, so unless you need to use higher gain antennas I don't really see the need to go external.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

I'd start looking external if you're up around the 20'+ area

Can you explain the reason please?

Can you explain the reason please?

Maybe you should tell us what you are trying to achieve.  Cisco doesn't have any dual-band dipoles (aka "Disco Sticks") available for 1600, 2600, 3600 & 3700 APs yet.

Leo,

There are rubber duckies for dual band

AIR-ANT2524DB-R=

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

But again, unless you need a higher gain I just do't see the point in going with external antenna.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

There are rubber duckies for dual band

I thought the OP wanted the Disco Sticks. 

This was a general question, there is no specific case. I think that the question was quite clear, basically I'd like to understand if there is any specific case when you'd use external dipole antennas (such as AIR-ANT2524DB-R= ) instead of embedded ones.

Thats a great question. I too had a similar question based on internal or external when both antennas are rated the same or very similar. Here is how I look at it ..

When you purchase an access point to allow external antennas it gives you the ability to shape the signal. if you need to shape the signal in a specific direction to lessen co-channel interference external antennas are your ticket. Or perhaps you have a need to strengthen the signal with passive gain by adding a strong antenna.

If you purchase an external ap and put the same rated antennas as an internal ap what do you really gain ? Nothing if you ask me other than future flexibility.

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Thank you George.

The antenna you've choosen has the same power as the ones with internal antenna. The only difference between the two APs is the cost. The AP with external antenna is cheaper but this is because the antenna is not factored into the cost. All in all, if you want to use the low power antenna, use the AP with internal antenna unless you want to future proof.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

The price difference is only a few dollars, the cost of the dipoles .. lol

The price difference is only a few dollars, the cost of the dipoles .. lol

That's true, George. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card