Views
Helpful
Replies

FlexConnect and Local hybrid deployment

cnegrete
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

I have a customer who wants to have a couple of sites managed by a WLC on each one. The quirk is that he wants to have the Access Points register to the remote controller if the local one fails.

The quick question is, can I set up the AP's to work on local mode and then switch to FlexConnect when they connect to the remote WLC? Or should I use FlexConnect even locally so that the AP's go to the remote WLC and nothing changes? Any comments on AP groups or Flexconnect groups as well?

I haven't find any info on this and I can't do tests on the customer site yet.

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

can I set up the AP's to work on local mode and then switch to FlexConnect when they connect to the remote WLC? 

NO, It won't work like that. You have to set AP mode either to Local or FlexConnect.

Should I use FlexConnect even locally so that the AP's go to the remote WLC and nothing changes? 

If you use FlexConnect mode  if WLC is not reachable AP goes into standalone mode. I think what you should do is  deploy AP in local mode with HA configured in each AP to pointing primary as branch  WLC & secondary as HQ-WLC. Only drawback is when branch WLC is down traffic is tunnel back to HQ & you have to similar SSID configuration settings in both HQ & Branch.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card