Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect Central Webaythentication for Remote user

MuhammadSaad_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Am facing problem with Flexconnect with guest user. My scenario is i have local DHCP at remote site for guest but i want them to authenticate through central WLC.

Am using Layer 3 web authentication. also the web authentication page is not popping up automatically, we have to type Google or any web than it redirect to virtual WLC interface.

Thank You

3 Replies 3

shh5455
Level 3
Level 3

EDIT: Freerk is correct.  See below.

@shh5455, webauth does work with flexconnect local switching (FlexConnect Feature Matrix). When a client associates to the WLAN, the pre-auth ALC will allow DHCP and DNS and traffic. The next step is that when a client tries to reach a website it will be redirected by the WLC to the virtual IP address of the WLC. This traffic is being tunneled by the AP into a CAPWAP tunnel to the management interface of the WLC, in this way there is no need for end-to-end IP connectivity between the client and the WLC.

@MuhammadSaad_2, there is not much what you can do about it. The client needs to do at least one http request to get redirected to the portal page. Apple does have a "solution" for this problem with a pseudo web browser / Captive Network Assistant which get launched after it detects that there is no direct internet access. However that does not always work flawless as well. So unless you really need the portal for something like marketing, I would prefer a dot1x solution or just a simple psk over the portal.

Freerk, you are correct.  I was going by memory.  Thanks for the update.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: