cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Heinz Kern
Beginner

Flexconnect with CCKM and mobility

Hello,

i have a tricky question. we are facing the problem that we should configure more than 25 accesspoints in flexconnect group on 5508. afaik 25 is the limit and will not be extended (at least not in 8.1).

we need flexconnect group because we use Cisco WLAN phones in this remote office and we need to . 

we are not in the position at the meoment to buy new hardware. 

therefore i have the idea to provide two flexconnect goups...but this will prevent seamless roaming between these two groups.

last idea was if it is possible to place the access points on the backup controller in the same cckm group.

therefore my question: will the cckm-info also be spread on a second controller (same mobility group) to an access-point in the same cckm-group. with this trick i could extend the number of supported access-points per group to 50. 

if this is not the case: this would mean that it is  a must that all access-points in one cckm group are always on the same controller...which for me is also a limitation i never heard or read.

does anybody have another idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well it comes down to the design. If the design was FlexConnect with more than 25 AP's, then the design should of had 7520's, 8510, 5520, 8540's.  You are limited to 25 AP's on a FlexConnect Group.  You have to make a decision on how you should split up the AP's in various groups, nothing you can do here. Your better off splitting floors that having two groups on the same floor, but it's up to you. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Scott Fella
Hall of Fame Guru

FlexConnect group helps when using 802.1x and if your locally switching.  When I have done FlexConnect groups with more than 25, not really what I wanted, I would create a group of AP's per floor or in and area. I focus on where devices would roam and create groups depending on that. Yes you are limited to 25, but you might not even notice a big difference when a device roams from one group to another. 

-Scott

-Scott

i agree with you when having 802.1x devices. but our scenario is even worse: the customer is using voip-phones. and the experience is that without cckm groups the voip-calls have interrupts. and here we can not split between floors. people are moving around everywhere. 

and we need local switching for a different SSID. for that reason i try to get creative. 

Well it comes down to the design. If the design was FlexConnect with more than 25 AP's, then the design should of had 7520's, 8510, 5520, 8540's.  You are limited to 25 AP's on a FlexConnect Group.  You have to make a decision on how you should split up the AP's in various groups, nothing you can do here. Your better off splitting floors that having two groups on the same floor, but it's up to you. 

-Scott

-Scott

Let us know if you need any more help.

-Scott

-Scott
Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad