cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FYI: How to get an image back onto a "blank" AP1200

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Due to some stupid actions on my part, I managed to completely clear the flash on one of our Lab's AP1200s.

I did some searching and didn't find a specific document on how to get a working image back into the unit.

I was updating to c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15XR2.

Because the image is very large, you can't have the .tar file on the flash to expand it ... it runs out of space.

To make a long story short, I eventually figured out the following command from the "ap:" prompt:

tar -xtract tftp://<ip addr of the tftp server>/<image name> flash:

The following prep must be done first:

1. You need a tftp server with the right image (as a .tar file)

2. From the "ap:" prompt:

---a---- set IP_ADDR <ip address of the AP>

---b---- set NETMASK <mask of the AP>

---c---- set IP_GATEWAY <the default gateway>

******* Note: the variables must be in upper case

---d---- tftp_init

3. <execute the tar -xtract command>

******* Example ********

ap:tar -xtract tftp://192.168.1.100/c1200-x9w7-tar.122-15.XR2.tar flash:

The console should display the files being extracted and placed in the proper directory structure.

NOTE: The process will freeze at a "More" prompt and time out unless you hit the space bar to continue (respond to the "More" prompt) ... this happens ~ 5 or 6 times during the process.

Once the files have been extracted, you can do a "boot" or "reset" at the next "ap:" prompt.

As I mentioned, I did a few searches and couldn't find a specific doc for this. If there is one ... post up the link and we can make it easier for the next full moon / brain fart / working-while-distracted occasion.... ;-}

Also note that there *is* a proper command to put the update image into the AP; this is for the "screw up first, read later" crowd. For the unadventurous, the proper command is documented in the release notes, I believe.

Hope this helps....

FWIW

Scott

1 Reply 1
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card