Views
Helpful
Replies

GLC-LH-SMD not running on CT5520 WLC

hhallal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am running a CT5520 WLC with GLC-LH-SMD transceivers; the port state is always down.

Are the GLC-LH-SMD compatible with the CT5520 WLC?

Regards,

Hassan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Try plugging a GLC-TX in port 1. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am running a CT5520 WLC with GLC-LH-SMD transceivers; the port state is always down.

They are compatible if the controller is running the correct firmware.  Early 8.1 codes had a bug with SFP modules where the ports will stay down.

Hello Leo,

Thank you for your prompt reply, i am upgrading the WLC to the 8.2 version.

I will keep you posted.

Hello,

I have upgraded the WLC to the 8.2 version, the problem is always there.

Following to the 5520 WLC deployment guide LINK, for the GLC-LH-SMD to work it needs a GLCT plugged in the port number #1.

Is the existence of a GLCT mandatory ?? 

BTW  i have noticed that the fans sound is more quiet.

Regards,

Hassan

Hi, Could you please update the status? I am installing 5520 controllers with GLC-LH-SMD next week!

Thank you kindly.

Try plugging a GLC-TX in port 1. 

Thank you, so can I have two GLC-LH-SMD on ports 1 and 2 , or I need GLC-T ?

I believe you need to have a GLC-T in port 1 before subsequent ports will enable SFP modules.

Hello,

I just ran into this issue installing some 5520 controllers. One of my controllers worked just fine with two GLC-SX-MMD SFPs in both ports. My secondary controller did not. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me until I found this thread. As soon as I put in a GLC-T into port 1 the 10G LED on the controller went off and my GLC-SX-MMD on port 2 started working. 

Is this documented somewhere by Cisco? This seems like strange behavior. 

Depends on the firmware of the controller.
As I've mentioned in the beginning of this thread, this is a known bug.

Hi Everyone,

Following are my findings regarding this issue:

1. The use of GLC-LH-SMD only will not sort the issue, the port will stay down.
  2. The use of GLCT on port#1 and a GLC-LH-SMD on port#2 will sort the issue, both ports will be up and running.
  • NOTE:the number/location of the ports are a bit confusing, more precisely the port#1 is located on the right side while port#2 is located on the left side. The GLCT should be strictly installed on port#1 in order for the GLC-LH-SMD installed in port#2 to work.
  • NOTE:reboot the WLC after moving the transceivers from a port to an other.

Regards,

Hassan

I spent a lot of time figuring out why does the 2ports on the 5520 running initially on 8.3.133 and upgrade to 8.10.105 and still doesn't come up using SFP10-SR; GLC-LH-SMD and GLC-TE until I found this thread. 

The bottom line is GLC-T is the key to make this 10G ports work in 1G even on the newest version at this point. able to use the Port2 using GLC-LH-SMD. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card