cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Anchor Controller 5508 Software 7.2

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

We currently have all of our foreign AP controllers on software version 7.0.116.  This consists of a mixture of 4400 and 5508 WLC's.  Our guest anchor is a 4402 on version 7.0.116.  We are replacing the guest anchor with a 5508.  We are also upgrading our 5508 wireless controllers to version 7.2 to support the 3600 series AP's.  My question is what is the recommeded code that the anchor controller should be on?  Should it also be upgraded to 7.2?  If we upgrade the anchor controller to version 7.2, will this affect anchoring to 4400 series foreign controllers still on7.0.116?                 

10 Replies 10

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there ..

So the 4400 cant go past 7.0 code, migrating to 7.2 is not an option for th 4400. You can however, keep your anchors on 7.0.116.0 and have 7.2 code on your foreign WLCs. This is a supported design by Cisco.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

great info George, but do you know if the new IOS based WLC can work with a 5508 anchor controller..

I have 2x5760 controllers with IOS ver 3.3.1 and a 5508 controller with 7.4.x.x, can 5508 serve as an anchor controller or do we have limitations, if yes than can you share any configuration guide for that as it does not seems as straight forward as it was with the software based controllers

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

Our anchor is being replaced with a 5508. My question is are there any issues with having the anchor on 7.2 and other foreign 4400's on 7.0.116?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

No, none that I am aware of.

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

I have some installs in which I have the reverse... v7.2 or v7.3 foreign and 7.0.x as the anchor with no issues.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ok, thanks for the info.  I just wanted to make sure I was not going to run into some weird issue with the foreign and anchor controller on different versions.

I have not upgraded any of our 5500's to version 7.2 yet.  Other than the legacy AP models not supported on version 7.2, are you aware of any other issues with this transition?  Thanks.

Hi guys,

I think it's a right topic to ask. I think a bit clarification about Guest Anchor controllers.

1. Why we should use a dedicated controller as an Anchor controller? Where do you guys see a problem to put all the guests traffic into different VLAN and if you need more security you can also dedicate physical interface?

2. 5508 supports 71  EoIP tunnels. Does it mean we can support just 71 guest user at the same time?

Edited. ( I think I know the answer. We can terminate just one EoIP tunnel and there is no real limitation how many users will use it?)

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Why we should use a dedicated controller as an Anchor controller? Where do you guys see a problem to put all the guests traffic into different VLAN and if you need more security you can also dedicate physical interface?

Usually if my client doesn't want the guest traffic to NOT touch their inside network is one reason. Also if I have many wlc's and maybe one or two redundant guest anchors... Well all my customers splash page and usernames of local to the wlc is only on the guest anchors. Especially if there is only one guest anchor and a few inside wlc's it almost makes sense to just have to really manage one. Guest credentials without WCS/NCS/PI makes it hard also if you have to have a lobby admin have to enter credentials in every wlc you have for that site.

2. 5508 supports 71 EoIP tunnels. Does it mean we can support just 71 guest user at the same time?
Edited. ( I think I know the answer. We can terminate just one EoIP tunnel and there is no real limitation how many users will use it?)

- that is correct! The limitation is for the anchoring of an SSID and not the client.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks! Helpful as always Scott!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card