cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Has Anyone Achieved 2.5 Gbe with the WP581?

Jimi Crush
Level 1
Level 1

I have an RV340 connected to a SG350 and a SG300, all wired with Cat 6.  The two AP581 ports are automatically LAG1, I have the two SG350 ports as LAG1.  I have tried every setting possible and have yet to achieve 2.5Gbe with this access point.

9 Replies 9

Real bottleneck is how much traffic you can generate in a wireless cell. Based on how wireless works (half duplex + all other overhead with mgt/control frames), you do not come close to a 1Gbps throughput.

So more than 1Gbps uplink to a switch is not a requirement in most scenarios.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

I am looking for the solution to how I achieve the 2.5 Gbe, not your opinion of whether I need it or not. Funny though, Cisco "Engineers" can't explain how to do it either.

The SG350 doesn't has multi-gigabit interfaces as far as I know, or is there now a model?
So your AP will connect with 1x 1 Gbps, or if you make an etherchannel, 2x 1 Gbps. That means, with two streams from two different clients, you could theoretically transmit 2 Gbps.
This is not achievable on the wireless though. With an 160 Mhz channel and a 4x4:4 client you can probably reach a maximum of ~900 Mbps.

@patoberli wrote:
This is not achievable on the wireless though. With an 160 Mhz channel and a 4x4:4 client you can probably reach a maximum of ~900 Mbps.

From the WAP581 Datasheet:

Provides cost-effective 802.11ac Wave 2 connectivity with speeds up to 2.8 Gbps

Concurrent dual-band radio support offers up to 2.1 Gbps on a 5.0-GHz radio and 600 Mbps on a 2.4-GHz radio to use capacity and coverage most efficiently.

The Cisco WAP581 Wireless-AC Dual Radio Wave 2 Access Point with 2.5GbE LAN uses concurrent dual-band radio for improved coverage and user capacity. The 4 x 4 MU-MIMO technology on the 5.0-GHz radio and 3 x 3 MIMO on the 2.4-GHz radio allow the access point to run at maximum performance and deliver better user experience. Two Gigabit Ethernet LAN interfaces, one with 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet and the second with 1 Gigabit Ethernet with PoE facilitate flexible installation and reduce cabling and wiring costs. 

So, you were saying...

@patoberli wrote:
The SG350 doesn't has multi-gigabit interfaces as far as I know, or is there now a model?
So your AP will connect with 1x 1 Gbps, or if you make an etherchannel, 2x 1 Gbps. That means, with two streams from two different clients, you could theoretically transmit 2 Gbps.

@patoberli wrote:

From the WAP581 Datasheet:

Provides cost-effective 802.11ac Wave 2 connectivity with speeds up to 2.8 Gbps

Concurrent dual-band radio support offers up to 2.1 Gbps on a 5.0-GHz radio and 600 Mbps on a 2.4-GHz radio to use capacity and coverage most efficiently.

The Cisco WAP581 Wireless-AC Dual Radio Wave 2 Access Point with 2.5GbE LAN uses concurrent dual-band radio for improved coverage and user capacity. The 4 x 4 MU-MIMO technology on the 5.0-GHz radio and 3 x 3 MIMO on the 2.4-GHz radio allow the access point to run at maximum performance and deliver better user experience. Two Gigabit Ethernet LAN interfaces, one with 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet and the second with 1 Gigabit Ethernet with PoE facilitate flexible installation and reduce cabling and wiring costs. 

So, you were saying...

@patoberli wrote:

Patoberli, thank you again for the completely useless information. The 2.5 Gbe is a SETTING in the WP581, so it is, supposedly, possible. The WAP581 will not operate with the port set at 2.5 Gbe in my setup. My question is how to set my equipment to allow the setting.

2.5Gbe refers to the wired port speed of the access point towards the switch which in turn should support Multigig speeds 2.5/5/10Gbps.

The only reason for that is that you can break 1Gbe speeds on one wire instead of using 2x 1Gbe cables towards your access points.

To achieve speeds over 1Gbe on wireless however you'd need to firstly be in an area where you have at least 4 adjacent channels on one of the UNII bands so you can run 4x4:4 at 160MHz channels where there is NO interference from other access points on those channel and connect multiple high speed Wi-Fi clients on that network (at least 3x3 radios on those) and another client on the 2.4GHz band and then the combined of those should break 1Gbe.  Also make sure you configure the Radio with a minimum basic rate of at least 24Mbps for your management and control frames.

Now I finally understand what you want to achieve, sorry that wasn't clear before.
What speed have you set on the switch port? This should be under:
Port Management -> Port setting
Of you don't see 2.5gbps there, what exact switch model do you have?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card