Views
Helpful
Replies

help setting up a cisco air-net wap

tom
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I have a small business and need to extend my wifi range.  I was given a pair of second hand Cisco air-cap 16021 APs.  I know very little about computers and networking and I dont have the instructions that came with the AP's.  I have both plugged into a TP Link port switch taking Power over ethernet.  Thats as far as I have got.  I know nothing now about what to do next to configure the AP's and get them working on my network.  Can anyone explain in idiot proof what I should do next?

Thanks

Tom

5 Replies 5

portisheadradio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom

Unfortunately, the "C" in CAP16021 means that these access points are designed to work with a dedicated Controller. Unless you are prepared to follow the instructions in this post, below, you wont be able to use them.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12266931/can-i-configure-cisco-1602i-air-cap1602i-t-k9-standalone-mode

Sorry

Adrian

Thanks for the info Adrian. I believe the AP's were quite expensive originally...Is it worth me getting a controller and would you know which one I would need?

Thanks for your help

Tom

Hi Tom

I have no experience of controller based wifi setups, I've just spent a few minutes looking on the Cisco website and I'd say your probably be better off steering clear on the basis of cost alone. Although there are a variety of controllers available, even the most basic used ones on eBay are up for £400+

Some of the Cisco stand alone AP's can be "grouped" so that they share a common configuration, and amending the configuration on one would then be reflected on the others in the group.

How many AP's do you want to use?

From your email address I'm guessing this is for the pub?

Hope that helps

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for coming back to me.  Yes its for my pub.  Its a very old building with 4ft thick stone walls and I have a dark spot which is only about six foot away from the router but I need to get wifi access there as it's my office and I can find a position for the router which gives me wifi both in the office and in the customer areas (where my till and table bookings also use the wifi).  Can I use just one of the Cisco AP's hardwired over ethernet or would it still need a controller?  Do you know another solution which isn't too expensive?  I tried some of the £40 wifi boosters that you get from supermarkets but they were no good.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom

Yes, the only solution is going to be an AP with a wired connection. If you want to use one of your freebies you'll have to upload the modified software as above, either that or buy a new AP which can be used as a stand alone AP.

HTH

Adrian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card