Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HIgh AP Channel Utilization Cisco 5508

Hey there gang, I have this production environment with about 300+ APs all terminating on the same 5508 controller version. 8.0.120

there are multiple buildings and predominately I do care about one building which has about 200+ APs across 10 floors.

In specifics in one floor I have 28 APs this is a highly utilized environment, with over 450+ connections at any given time.

The 5.0 spectrum works fine as expected more channels and Channel utilization is minimal and the data throughput varies anywhere between 60-100Mbps up down.

The 2.4 spectrum is a nightmare, AP Channel utilization on average is about 70 and in some cases higher %.  Data throughput as a result of that is crawling, I have disabled lower data rates,  have band select and aggressive load balancing enabled.  RRM is running every ten minutes and I do not like that, also I noticed on Prime that RRM is not assigning channels the most efficient way, now mind you i know there are too many APs and too little channels only 3 on the 2.4 spectrum and interference will exist no matter what, but i suspect RRM is not doing its job as it should and hence Channel utilization is super high and very poor performance.

Before I start shutting down some of the 2.4 Radios anyone has any suggestions? I would sincerely appreciate some help here. possibly some best practices

Thank you

2 Replies 2

If you  have enabled 2.4GHz on all those 28 APs, then you have to disable most of the Radio's first (at least 20+)

RRM is running every ten minutes and I do not like that, also I noticed on Prime that RRM is not assigning channels the most efficient way

If you notice channel changes are happening frequently, then you can increase this value (ie 8 hr or 12 hr interval). Enable ED-RRM so AP can change a channel based on an event rather taking whole RF environment into calculation

HTH

Rasika

Do you guys believe if I implement most if not all of the changes outlined on this PDF which I am attaching will decrease the channel utilization on the 2.4 Spectrum?  Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card