cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High Availability Problem with 2504

hacizeynal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dears ,I have 2 off 2504 wireless controllers ,each of them has respectively 50 and 75 AP license count. I followed https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/n1-high-availability-configuration-on-cisco-2504wlc/ guide for configuring it ,i guess I have done all steps ,for testing purposes I just reloaded one AP which it's primary WLC is second WLC ,once it boots up it should be registered with Backup WLC ,but it doesnt .what can I check for this problem ?

Thanks !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There you go... most of the time it's either the time, code or country code that causes people the most issues. Glad it's working.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's best to define the primary and secondary WLC on each AP. This way when an AP reboots of their primary controller goes down or is unreachable, the AP knows what controller it needs to join.  Have you done this?

-Scott 

-Scott

Hi Scott ,

Thanks for reply ,yes from All APs and from high availability I added ip addresses of my WLCs respectively .

Make sure that the WLC hostname is correct.   The input is case sensitive also.  With setting the primary and secondary if an AP still doesn't join their primary after a reboot, make sure that there are available AP license on the controller.  Also you can console into the AP and see what is actually happening. It can be that the entry on the AP is not correct and you might also have DNS or option 43 discovery on your network.

Are the controllers on the same subnet?  Does the AP end up joining the backup or not? 

-Scott 

-Scott

All APs and 2 WLC are on same subnet ,so we don't need option 43 ,unfortunately the APs are located in remote site .I am pretty sure that hostnames are correctly entered

If AP's are ona different subnet from the controllers, you either have to use DNS, option 43 or broadcast discovery when initially priming the AP's.  now if these AP's have been up and you have issue now, help me understand what is happening and how are you testing?  Where are the AP's located... in the same country, etc.

-Scott 

-Scott

Let's say like that ,I have a venue with 20 APs ,all of them are located geographically in same place ,I have configured 1 WLC with 50 AP license (2504 ) ,then I wanted to add redundancy  ,2504 does not support SSO mode ,so we have to configure (N+1) mode ,all APs are registered in 1st WLC ,I configured the second WLC per guide ,but failover is happening when I disconnect 1st WLC

With N+1 you need to have mobility group setup and up.  With the same mobility group name, the controller provides the AP's with a list of controllers. Using the high availability on each AP's helps you set what should be primary and backup.  Enabling fallback on each controller allows the AP's to join its primary when it is available. 

If you have an AP on WLC 1, you can specify the primary as WLC 2 and the secondary as WLC 1.  If the AP doesn't move, then you have an issue somewhere. This is a test you should be able to do. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Should the group names same in Mobility Group ? I have different names 

Should be especially since you are doing N+1.  The RF Group should also be the same and the VIP.

-Scott 

-Scott

I made them same ,reload the first WLC but unfortunately failover did not happen

Something isn't setup right. If you just unplug WLC 1, does the AP's move eventually?  They should if there is connectivity between the AP and the WLC 2 and the high availability is defined properly.

-Scott 

-Scott

Actually not ,they are not registering with second WLC 

You have any AP's on that controller?  If not, then you have a config issue.

-Scott 

-Scott

For me I think I have everything true ,Scott if I have give you control can we tshoot it together for 5-10 minutes ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: