cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I know if the Cisco Aironet 1830 comes with a license?

Hi all!  I am thinking of getting a Cisco Aironet 1830 for my small home-lab (is the smallest that I've read that supports Cisco Mobility Express and its compatible with the WLC9800-CL), my purpose is just to learn how to setup and deploy this technology using both WLC and/or Mobility express embedded in the AP; I will probably get a couple of the AIR-AP1832I ones.

I also read the new license modeling (DNA and Network based, essential and advanced modes), I think the WLC CL by default includes the perpetual network essentials license right?

Well, I also read (don't remember where) that the licenses can be purchased for the WLC or for the AP itself, because of my budget I will probably order the AP from ebay, but I still can't find the information of how to know if the given AP have a license for itself (and what type of license), I am just a student (no company, no enterprise), how can I purchase licenses for AP's or how can I purchase AP's with the license included?

Maybe I can add a non-compliance license and just use it in my lab?, or can I add trial licenses for AP? can I still use them even if expired?

Thanks you all in advance!

Aldo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes it will work without even license activation. Untl 17.6.X releases Cisco doesn’t enforce any licensing limitations. So if the configuration is correct you can have any number of AP’s reporting to the WLC.

Please keep in mind licensing fee is not that expensive and it’s not ethical to bypass this just because we can. I would strongly recommend you to purchase the licenses unless you are going to use for short term lab purposes or short term studies, If required you may reach out to your local cisco se or partner, they might be able to arrange some evaluation licenses for this.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to have Air DNA Advantage/Essentials + Network Advantage/essentials license per AP if you want the AP to register in to any 9800 platforms. Only exception is 9800 EWC, for EWC you don't need any DNA subscriptions, only Smartnet should be sufficient, you can even optout of smartnet. Since you are having 1830 series AP, definitely it will not be able to run EWC itself, but it can join a EWC WLC. 1830AP can be configured as a WLC using Mobility express image. Again this also doesn't require any licenses.

Now if you want this AP to work in a LAB environment, 9800-CL in private cloud doesn't enforce any license requirements up to 17.6.X codes. So you can have any number of AP's joining a 9800-CL. But starting from 17.7.X 9800-CL enforces maximum 50AP's per allowed to join after license expired. This should be more than enough for any LAB environment.

Wow thanks for your useful reply, I don't have a SMARTnet Service access, so for now I was only able to download the 9.17.5 image since is prior 17.6.X and per your comment I understand that there is no limitation on the number of AP's joining in that release code, but I still have one uncertainty, you mentioned "...license per AP if you want the AP to register in to any 9800", so it means that in order to join I need a license and the <17.6.X will still allow the AP's to work with expired license right?  So for my lab I will still need to purchase licenses for the AP in order to join? is there a way to join AP's without license at all? sorry for my questions but that was not to clear in the cisco document I have read.

Aldo

Yes it will work without even license activation. Untl 17.6.X releases Cisco doesn’t enforce any licensing limitations. So if the configuration is correct you can have any number of AP’s reporting to the WLC.

Please keep in mind licensing fee is not that expensive and it’s not ethical to bypass this just because we can. I would strongly recommend you to purchase the licenses unless you are going to use for short term lab purposes or short term studies, If required you may reach out to your local cisco se or partner, they might be able to arrange some evaluation licenses for this.

I appreciate your response. And yes, this is for short-term labbing/testing/learning purposes. But just in case, how can I shop for a license for these AP's? is there like a 5-pack DNA-essentials licenses for AP ? (like the old RTU ones), sorry but I can't find any like "add AP license to cart" type of page in cisco's website!

so same licensing rules applies for the catalyst AP 9800 than for the 1830 series AP?

or if I want to have WLC 9800-CL with AP 9800 I mandatorily need to have DNA licenses?  or samething I can use it without license in my lab?

Thanks!

This might help you with licensing questions.

Cisco Catalyst 9100 and Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) Customer FAQ - Cisco

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

And just to explain - with 9800 the licensing is for the AP not the WLC so there is no such thing as an adder pack on previous WLC.

It's all managed by Smart Licensing which is mandatory with 9800.

So when you buy an AP license (AIR-DNA) usually with the AP but can be bought separately eg for migrating APs from AireOS to 9800 WLC, the license gets deposited in your smart account.  When the AP joins the WLC the WLC fetches the license from your smart account.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card