cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I make Guest wifi only available during business hours

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I have a Cisco 5500 series WLC and though we don't have a guest network up yet... we want to.  One of the ideas was to make this guest wifi only active during normal buisness hours, so we don't get people in parking lots late at night trying to do funny stuff.

I can EASILY do this with my home wireless (DD-WRT loaded Linksys router) but I can't find this on the 5500 WLC.  Is there a particular place I can look?

We have a secured WPA2 Enterprise network now, but looking to turn up a "guest" with web-auth.  We would provide a positive message password to guests that we would change every 3 months or so.  We already made a cool landing page and tested it briefly/

So yeah, time based access?  Is this possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would simply run it from a windows or linux box via a scheduled task. Two scripts. First one all it needs to do is config wlan disable , second one is just config wlan enable

Please mark your question as answered and rate the posts to help others in the future!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

You can do time based access by using NCS/WCS to push a template down that disables the WLAN at a certain time and then another template that enables the WLAN again.

There is no way of doing this directly on the WLC out of the box. You could also run a script that logs into the WLC via SSH and accomplishes the same as the templates.

Ok, we don't have NCS/WCS.  That sounds interesting to do a script to log in via SSH.  We can do that.  I'll go in and see what the commands are.

I would simply run it from a windows or linux box via a scheduled task. Two scripts. First one all it needs to do is config wlan disable , second one is just config wlan enable

Please mark your question as answered and rate the posts to help others in the future!

Perfect!  That works great, thanks for the help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: