cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I upgrade the IOS of LWAPPs ?

vancampdax
Level 1
Level 1

I want to upgrade the IOS installed on my LWAPP associated with my controller ( 4402 ) but I can't find any option to do this or documentation.

So, my question is, how do I install a new IOS on my LWAPPs ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dax,

As you suspect, as they are LWAPP APs they get the software as soon they are joined to a WLC.

Because the code the LWAPP APs run must be in accordance to the WLC SW version they are connected to, whenever they join a WLC the WLC checks the version they are running and if it is different, it automatically downloads the correct AP image to the AP and reboots the AP so it joins again the WLC using the corresponding version of sw matching the WLC version.

You just need to make sure the AP is able to join the WLC, then the image transference is automatic.

Whenever you want to upgrade, you only need to upgrade the WLC code, and it will upgrade automatically all the APs.

This is one of the advantage of the LWAPP infrastructure...imagine you have 100 APs and you needed to upgrade them...with LWAPP, you only upgrade the WLC code and magic happens.

Please note that whenever you perform an upgrade of the WLC, it will make the APs to reload so all clients will be disconnected for couple of minutes.

HTH,
Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

vancampdax
Level 1
Level 1

OK,

I think I figured this out :-)

It are LWAPP, thus they don't actually need an IOS, they are just "antennas" for the controller right ?

If I want to upgrade my wireless infrastructure, I only need to upgrade my controller correct ?

It's just a bit confusing becauqe the AP is still displaying some installed IOS information

Hi Dax,

They are not only "antennas".

They indeed download an firmware when they achieve the controller.

If you upgrade the firmware version of the controller the APs will donwload the code too and then will reboot with the new version.

Ther are some configuration that can be statically configured on LAPs, such as IP address.

As far as i know it could be stored up to 2 versions on the APs... or it is on the controller ?? lol.. im not sure.

Best Regards,

Bruno Petrónio

Hi Dax,

As you suspect, as they are LWAPP APs they get the software as soon they are joined to a WLC.

Because the code the LWAPP APs run must be in accordance to the WLC SW version they are connected to, whenever they join a WLC the WLC checks the version they are running and if it is different, it automatically downloads the correct AP image to the AP and reboots the AP so it joins again the WLC using the corresponding version of sw matching the WLC version.

You just need to make sure the AP is able to join the WLC, then the image transference is automatic.

Whenever you want to upgrade, you only need to upgrade the WLC code, and it will upgrade automatically all the APs.

This is one of the advantage of the LWAPP infrastructure...imagine you have 100 APs and you needed to upgrade them...with LWAPP, you only upgrade the WLC code and magic happens.

Please note that whenever you perform an upgrade of the WLC, it will make the APs to reload so all clients will be disconnected for couple of minutes.

HTH,
Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: