cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does mobile device choose which radio frequency to connect?

Tats0611
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have WLC + Lightweight APs running in my office which has one single SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz spectrum.

My laptop's wireless adapter supports up to 802.11ac.

I would like to know how my Windows laptop choose which radio frequency's SSID to connect if both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are enabled on an AP.

Will Windows computer tries to connect to whatever sends the strongest signal to the computer?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Each Wireless Adapter vendor has its own algorithm in order for to choose proper radio. Ultimately, most of vendor users basically RSSI as primary parameter.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

Each Wireless Adapter vendor has its own algorithm in order for to choose proper radio. Ultimately, most of vendor users basically RSSI as primary parameter.

Thanks Flavio,

I see. ok I think I will check my laptop's driver then. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Tatsuya

For windows devices you can also change some settings that can influence the band.  On some devices you can leverage the "preferred band" setting which is found in the wireless adapter settings.  See image attached.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card