Views
Helpful
Replies

How many simultaneous users can a CAP3503E AP accomodate

mcaoile
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am doing right now a site survey using CAP3502E (downgrade to autonomous).  I have a certain section with 12 users and the client wants 5 users per AP.  Can the CAP3502E accomodaet 12 users at a time?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would say the same, to be on the safe side.

Allow your voice to use the 802.11a radio as a preference.  If you have non-Cisco wireless VoIP, do not enable 802.11n in voice applications.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a very common question and the answer will depend entirely on the type of wireless traffic to be expected.

Cisco still maintains the number of 25 clients per AP.

However, if you have clients doing nothing but HTML, e-mails and chats, then this number can go as high as 30-35 per AP.

If you are planning live HD video streaming then this number can go as low as 8 clients per AP. 

The client will have voice and data (email, internet browsing).  Is the 25 clients per AP true for all types of AP?

Forr email and HTTP traffic?  25 is fine.  For voice?  You may want to look at this document: Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7925G, 7925G-EX, and 7926G Deployment Guide

It says in the document "The Cisco Access Point can support up to 27 bi-directional voice streams for both 802.11a and 802.11g at a data rate of 24Mbps or higher". If mix Data and Voice, what do you think will be an estimate figure?

I would say the same, to be on the safe side.

Allow your voice to use the 802.11a radio as a preference.  If you have non-Cisco wireless VoIP, do not enable 802.11n in voice applications.

Thanks for the ratings.

Just want to say a few things:

1.  You can never go wrong if you get a wireless site survey done prior to installtion of APs.

2.  If you have budget for MORE APs than what the wireless site survey states, be thankful.  Not everyone is as lucky as you.

3.  If you do happen to get a wireless site survey done, please set your settings for wireless voice application in mind.

Thanks a lot for the advise. 

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sure your AP can handle that.
I have older AP models (non 802.11n) that handles like 40+ users for browsing the internet and users are satisfied.

HTH

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

manjeets
Level 3
Level 3

the answer will depend entirely on the type of wireless traffic to   be expected.

Cisco still maintains the number   of 25 clients per AP.

However, if you have clients   doing nothing but HTML, e-mails and chats, then this number can go as   high as 30-35 per AP.

If you are planning live HD   video streaming then this number can go as low as 8 clients per AP. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card