Views
Helpful
Replies

how to block mobile user using Cisco wireless controller

AMD@84
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a new wireless controller 2500 and  I want to block only Phone Mobile user to connect from the company SSID. 

Please advise me.

5 Replies 5

AndreaTornaghi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

is your scope to block smartphone to connect on different SSID? In this case you can try to use a MDM software.

Otherwise you can configure a SSID with 802.1X authentication and use company credentials for login.

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

There are several ways to accomplish this,  I like to use Cisco ISE to block a group of devices like Iphones, ISE can profile the device as it connects to the wireless network and allow or block the device depending your rule set. 

you can also use mac filtering on the controller, this gets messy and hard to keep up with. but you only have a few devices this would be the cheapest and easiest way.

I hope this helps

David

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AMD@84 wrote:

I want to block only Phone Mobile user to connect from the company SSID. 

Can you explain further?  You want to block A PHONE USER (ONE USER)?

Hello,

The scope of work is to block all mobile users and only Laptop users need to connect to the SSID.

Device profiling won't work because it can't tell whether you're using an iPhone or an iTouch.

The only way is to via AD.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card