Views
Helpful
Replies

how to control the signal strength for each client on 5500 controller

haedongchan
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys

an AP is next to the Notebook client, that AP works properly, but the notebook always connect to other AP

how can i make an AP connect to that closest AP, does cisco 5500 controller support that function??

can I make an connection environment for each client manually??

pls help me guys, any advice will be very thankful and helpful.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@haedongchan wrote:

an AP is next to the Notebook client, that AP works properly, but the notebook always connect to other AP

This is a very common abnormal behaviour because the wireless NIC driver may not have been updated. 

I already updated nic driver, pls let me know how to control each client manually thanks

What is the model of the wireless NIC and what is the wireless NIC driver?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
how can i make an AP connect to that closest AP, does cisco 5500 controller support that function??

can I make an connection environment for each client manually??

Not sure or i may be not aware that client have ability  to connect only certain AP.

If the AP next 2 you, the client decides where to connected, it not give any option i want to connect to AP1 rather AP2.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This could be a sign of to much signal overlap (besides the previously already mentioned reasons).

There are features in the WLC pushing clients to other APs, but this can sometimes cause interruptions. Those are called Client Load Balancing and Client Band Select. 

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ultimately its the clients decision which AP it joins.
Things like band select and client load balancing could be causing issues.

Have you done a client debug to see if there is a reason the client isn't connecting to that AP?

Have you disconnected the client and reconnected whilst next to the AP - sometimes the client might not roam until signal level basically non existent.

Are any clients connecting to the AP the notebook isn't

Has a site survey been completed

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card