Views
Helpful
Replies

How to determine geograthic location of Rogue Access Point

mousenok-kami
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Flavien.

I have the wireless controller 5508 and many AP1261 registered on site. It detects a lot of rogue access points around. I would like to find out geographic location of these rogue access points. Is it possible? What should i do for this?

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you had WCS NCS or Prime Infrastructure those tools along with an MSE can show you close proximity of rogue AP's. without those you have to look at what ap is hearing the rogue the strongest and you can determine where that rogue might be.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

One thing to note, is that many times you don't even have to worry about rogue ap's if the signal is -75 or worse, but you would have to determine that by testing.  I have a client (education) that there are many rogues but even the AP's that show up at -70 are external to their buildings.  So when you look at rogues from the WLC, look at the # Detecting Radios.  The rogues that you need to really look at is when you have many radios detecting that rogue because that is most likely in your building.  Then look at the RSSI and you also can determine if is a ap from a nearby home, building, etc or internal to your building.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card