cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to disable 802.11b/g in a radio profile

jmhouse96
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to disable 802.11b/g, but leave 802.11n (2.4ghz) enabled when creating RF Profiles?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You really don’t want to have a mix of data rates in a roaming environment. You should look at just disabling the lower data rates globally insuring that you have good AP density. Focus On leveraging band select to get dual band devices on the 5GHz vs 2.4GHz. Because you stated that you have to support 2.4GHz devices, makes sure that if they are old devices, they support the data rates that you set as mandatory. Eventually, like all other organizations, you will migrate to newer devices and one day only have 5GHz enabled. Until then, you need to also ensure that the 2.4GHz only devices have a good experience on the network.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No You cant.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There is no such thing as 802.11n in 2.4 Ghz. That is just marketing fluff.

Call it what you want, I am just attempting to keep 802.11b/g only clients from connecting to my network. I was able to do this globally but there are some instances where I have to support 802.11g clients and using radio profiles would allow me to implement this if it was possible. I will move forward with attempting to get all 2.4ghz clients replaced. 

You can disable your data rates, most people prefer to just disable the data rates up to 11Mbps which effectively prevent 802.11b radios to join. 

If you have a good density of AP's you can limit it to 24Mbps, you should not go any higher than that. 

So if you want only 802.11g clients then, as what Jurgens recommended, turn off the Data Rates from 1- to 11 Mbps, make 12-, 24- and 48 Mbps as Mandatory and the rest are Supported.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You really don’t want to have a mix of data rates in a roaming environment. You should look at just disabling the lower data rates globally insuring that you have good AP density. Focus On leveraging band select to get dual band devices on the 5GHz vs 2.4GHz. Because you stated that you have to support 2.4GHz devices, makes sure that if they are old devices, they support the data rates that you set as mandatory. Eventually, like all other organizations, you will migrate to newer devices and one day only have 5GHz enabled. Until then, you need to also ensure that the 2.4GHz only devices have a good experience on the network.
-Scott

Some_Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Replying to an old thread since the current "accepted solution" does not answer the question. You can achieve what OP was asking for via the CLI command 11n-client-only:

config rf-profile 11n-client-only enable PROFILENAME

Disabling the data rates is one of the ways to disable 802.11b and is still widely configured.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card