Views
Helpful
Replies

How to join a 1532E AP to a RAP via wireless

paul.gordon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a question about joining new 1532E APs as MAPs to an existing RAP.

The scenario is I have two buildings – Building A and Building B. Each building has a 1532E AP installed. Building A is connected to the WLC via the wired network. Building B currently has no connectivity. The intention is to link together the two buildings using a wireless Ethernet point-to-point bridge between the two 1532E APs.

Due to a bug with our current WLC software 8.0.120, I can’t change Building A’s AP to bridge mode. It is in FlexConnect mode. To fix the bug, we’ll be upgrading the WLC to 8.2.121. After the upgrade, I’ll hopefully be able to change Building A’s AP to bridge mode and I will configure it as a Root AP (RAP). The question is, what is the procedure for a) upgrading Building B's AP software when it has no WLC connectivity and b) getting Building B’s AP to connect to the RAP (and hence the WLC) as a Mesh AP (MAP)? Will Building B’s AP attempt to do this automatically when it reboots, or do I need to get onto the AP console and configure something? Basically, I'm trying to avoid having to physically remove Building B's AP as it is in an inaccessible space.

Thanks.

Paul

4 Replies 4

Brett Verney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul,

Was building B's AP ever changed to FlexConnect?

If I recall correctly the 1532 APs are configured in Bridge Mode from factory so if you haven't changed this you should be OK. Just make sure you have done the following in order for it to connect to the WLC;

• Add Building B's MAC Address to the MAC Filter list on the WLC (Security--> MAC Filtering)
  • Ensure the native (untagged) VLAN on the switchport that Connects Building A's AP is set to the AP Management VLAN, this will ensure that Building B's AP will get an IP Address via the Mesh backhaul (Also requires that the WLC is discoverable through broadcast, DHCP Option 43, DNS etc)
  • Ensure 'Strict BGN Matching' has not been enabled under the 'Mesh' TAB of the Building A RAP.

Once the AP joins the WLC, it will proceed to upgrade it's image automatically

However if the Building B AP is in any mode other than 'Bridge' you will need to console in to it and run the command

capwap ap mode bridge

This will cause the AP to reboot and attempt to associate to the WLC via the Building A RAP.

Regards,

Brett

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your response. That makes a lot of sense and it is what I was hoping would be the case. I had already configured the three things that you mentioned.

The Building B AP is currently in FlexConnect mode due to a bug with the current software, so I will probably have to enter that command. I'm hoping I don't need to upgrade the software on it in order to get it to go into bridge mode and associate to the RAP.

Do you know if there's a way to manually upgrade IOS on an AP if it is currently disconnected from the WLC?

Cheers!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately the only way to get the AireOS (WLC) code on to the AP is to join it to a WLC and pull down that code. So if it's currently on FlexConnect mode, it will need to be joined to a WLC via it's wired network.

Via console or CLI, you can only upgrade the AP's microcode which won't really help you in this situation.

https://software.cisco.com/download/type.html?mdfid=284620603&flowid=48545

How do you know the Building B AP is in FlexConnect mode? Did it used to be joined to the existing WLC? Or is your assumption that it has the same code as Building A? (ordered at the same time for example).

-Brett

Hi Brett,

I previously had it joined to the WLC via a temporary wired network to try and change it to Bridge mode, but it kept coming back up in FlexConnect mode, I think due to the bug in WLC software 8.0.120.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes... worst case I'll have to take it down, connect it to the WLC for the upgrade, and then re-mount it.

Thanks.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: